Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Daughter going to seminary

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 23 2018, 11:56 pm
I didn't went and we decided it would be a great idea for her to go but now I'm having second thoughts...
We don't have many friends she could do shabat so we're counting on the seminary placing her in shabat and yom tov ... but how does it work? Thank youin advance...
A worried mom

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:03 am
Any seminary worth its salt places the girls. Often though, she will be the friend that goes along with another girl who has relatives or family friends in Israel. Because often the two parties don't know each other that well, the host family very often tells the girl that she can bring a friend. It is very nice. In fact I was the "friend" often and even coincidentally went to the same super nice people twice because they knew two girls from my seminary.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:28 am
Thank you for your fast and encouraging words!
What about making friends? All her friends are going to other seminars...

chummus

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 12:46 am
Everything will workout for her! She will make friends , have places to go to etc..99% of what we worry about never happens anyway.

avital613

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:08 am
I came to Israel after high school about 8 years ago and haven't left yet, during my time here I have met many gap year students (sem girls, yeshiva guys, uni students ect.) who came not knowing anyone and all of them succeeded in finding host families to go to for Shabbat. Israel is full of welcoming families who happily open their homes to foreign guests. Im sure your daughter will have a wonderful year and she will be surrounded by great friends and amazing people who will welcome her with open arms!

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:53 am
I went to seminary not knowing a soul in Israel. I ended up meeting the most incredible people each shabbat chufsha. Don't worry too much, I'm sure she'll do great

rgr

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:53 am
I didn't have any relatives in Israel and I managed just fine. I made friends and went with them to their relatives.

It was good that I had RH plans before I got there though, because that was right in the beginning so it was less overwhelming because I was already set

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 5:28 pm
Thank you very much for all the replies! Felling much calmer now... bh everything will work out right.

ROFL

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 6:27 pm
Your daughter will enjoy it. Please make sure she knows to help the family with what they need ( obviously without being a “slave”). She should offer to make salad, set tables and clear tables too. She should have funds to bring flowers or a small cake for Shabbat. And she should remember to text a thank you to her hosts after Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children