Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dead end / Cul-de-sac street
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 10:53 am
hisweety wrote:
This might need a new thread but I’ll try to ask it here.
Would u knock into some houses on the block as a potent new neighbor to ask questions about the neighborhood? (Some of them or all of them r not Jewish)
They just passed a law in my village that this is not allowed. It's a no knocking law .

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 11:06 am
thunderstorm wrote:
They just passed a law in my village that this is not allowed. It's a no knocking law .

That law doesn't apply to OP. It's for Realtors.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
That law doesn't apply to OP. It's for Realtors.

I was just reading up on it it's for anybody. The idea is that people are bothered by the constant knocking and soliciting. If you already purchased and you want to get to know your neighbors that's a different story

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 2:05 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I was just reading up on it it's for anybody. The idea is that people are bothered by the constant knocking and soliciting. If you already purchased and you want to get to know your neighbors that's a different story

I don't think you are correct. The penalty is for realtors soliciting homes for sales. It has nothing to do with potential neighbors asking about the neighborhood.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think you are correct. The penalty is for realtors soliciting homes for sales. It has nothing to do with potential neighbors asking about the neighborhood.

Ok. So maybe I'm wrong. I myself have been annoyed and bothered many times by frum people knocking on my door asking about my block. I tried to be as helpful as possible but I felt like it was intrusive.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 2:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Ok. So maybe I'm wrong. I myself have been annoyed and bothered many times by frum people knocking on my door asking about my block. I tried to be as helpful as possible but I felt like it was intrusive.

ITA with you
Imagine how much more annoying it is when done to non jews?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
ITA with you
Imagine how much more annoying it is when done to non jews?

ITA too, it's extremely annoying. I was one of the first to move to a new part of town and was often the recipient of such knocks on the door. The timing may be convenient for the one who knocks, but it almost always caught me in the middle of cooking, throwing in a load in the washer, feeding a kid, etc. I rush to the door with a dishtowel over my shoulder, snood askew, and half baked food on the counter, only to find someone having plenty of times on their hand and throwing all kinds of questions at me.

I suggest using the phone if you want to get some information. This way I have the opportunity to politely say that it's not a good time for me, and give you a convenient time to call back.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Aug 24 2018, 5:28 pm
I live on a cul de sac. No bus service but that never bothered us. We have had no break-ins on my street in the 8 yrs I've lived here, whereas many other streets in our area have many problems with break-ins (mostly of cars but also houses). We love the privacy. Snow plowing is indeed a problem, we are the last to get plowed but granted it's a tiny street, about 12 houses. I live OOT.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 25 2018, 4:41 pm
I'd never just do that but a law? wow, so… "law and order"
also Nothing forces you to answer
Not sure why it's worse for a non jew

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 12:49 am
Ruchel wrote:

The law came about because of pushy people pressuring non-Jews to sell. It got annoying to have people hounding you to leave your homes.

When the neighborhoods tilt towards Jewish, they turn very fast once they reach a critical level. I saw this in a several places.

The Jews offer money so far out of line with what is the going rate even a couple blocks over. Once Jews come in the characteristics of the neighborhood change. It can be uncomfortable for non-Jews to live there.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:14 am
Ruchel wrote:

I agree with Ruchel. No knocking? Ever?

I understand people putting up a "no soliticing" sign, but "no knocking" sounds absurd.

If I knock on your door to borrow a cup of sugar or if my child comes over to play with your child, we can get arrested?

grace413

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:19 am
DrMom wrote:

I understand people putting up a "no soliticing" sign, but "no knocking" sounds absurd.

If I knock on your door to borrow a cup of sugar or if my child comes over to play with your child, we can get arrested?

First you have to text to ask if it's ok to phone. If they say yes you can phone with your request. Then if they agree you can knock on the door after having given the requisite amount of time to clean the house and dress properly. LOL

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:10 am
DrMom wrote:

It's a no knocking rule in regard to the realestate on the block. Meaning knocking on someone's door asking if anybody is interested in selling their home is not allowed. Borrowing a cup of sugar is a non issue, you already live there.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
The law came about because of pushy people pressuring non-Jews to sell. It got annoying to have people hounding you to leave your homes.

When the neighborhoods tilt towards Jewish, they turn very fast once they reach a critical level. I saw this in a several places.

The Jews offer money so far out of line with what is the going rate even a couple blocks over. Once Jews come in the characteristics of the neighborhood change. It can be uncomfortable for non-Jews to live there.

That's strange
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating