Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wages
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:13 pm
I would appreciate if anyone can answer the following question. What's the standard wage that I can ask for? I've been working for the same company for over 8 years. I feel that my bosses are taking advantage of me. I do the bulk of the work and pick up everyone else's slack. Im finding it very hard to survive on minimum wage. I work between 10-12 hours a day. I do not have a degree. I am the main family bread winner and I am struggling to cover my basic monthly expenses. I have a bunch of teenagers and I have to start worrying about how I can afford to marry them off. Is there a going rate? If so, what is it?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:20 pm
Going rate depends on what field

cbsdbs

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:22 pm
Just secretarial work

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:39 pm
cbsdbs wrote:
Just secretarial work

After 8 years you should definitely be earning more than minimum wage. Have you ever asked for a raise ? A 5% annual increase should be given . If I felt I was due for more I asked.
Have you learned new things? Are you able to move up in position? Did your work help the company earn more or save money? All these things are taken into consideration as well.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
I would appreciate if anyone can answer the following question. What's the standard wage that I can ask for? I've been working for the same company for over 8 years. I feel that my bosses are taking advantage of me. I do the bulk of the work and pick up everyone else's slack. Im finding it very hard to survive on minimum wage. I work between 10-12 hours a day. I do not have a degree. I am the main family bread winner and I am struggling to cover my basic monthly expenses. I have a bunch of teenagers and I have to start worrying about how I can afford to marry them off. Is there a going rate? If so, what is it?

Put together a resume highlighting all the work you do in your position - and look something else.

Sounds like you are being taken advantage of.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 9:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
After 8 years you should definitely be earning more than minimum wage. Have you ever asked for a raise ? A 5% annual increase should be given . If I felt I was due for more I asked.
Have you learned new things? Are you able to move up in position? Did your work help the company earn more or save money? All these things are taken into consideration as well.

All this, except that in my industry annual increases are usually around 2%.

simba

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:03 pm
Did you say you work 10-12 hours a day??? That's Insane. Your replacement value is high and they should be paying for that.
You have experience and knowledge of the inner workings of your work place and are highly dedicated.
You can definitely ask for a raise if you are getting minimum wage. Are you just a secretary or more like office manager or executive assistant?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:23 pm
I'm doing more than just secretarial work. I work very long hours. When I asked for a raise a while ago, I was told it's not fair to the other employees. I recently got a 2 dollar raise which really isn't much. I just wanted to know how much is the going rate so I could come to the management showing them that I'm overworked and very underpaid. Even if I would look for something else, I want to know what the going rate is. I don't want to have the same problem.

simba

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:25 pm
Where do you live?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
I'm doing more than just secretarial work. I work very long hours. When I asked for a raise a while ago, I was told it's not fair to the other employees. I recently got a 2 dollar raise which really isn't much. I just wanted to know how much is the going rate so I could come to the management showing them that I'm overworked and very underpaid. Even if I would look for something else, I want to know what the going rate is. I don't want to have the same problem.

You need to be able to better define what you do to get a better concept of ‘going rate’.

Also ‘not fair’ to the other employees is ridiculous. Your compensation negotiations have nothing to do with the other employees.

das

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 10:29 pm
"It's not fair to the other employees" is the most pathetic excuse I've heard. You're either worth it or not.

Tell us where you live and how much $ you make an hour so we can tell you if it's "normal" or not.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 26 2018, 11:58 pm
I live in the Brooklyn area. I'm making $17.00 an hour. I do more than secretarial work. I pretty much run the local main office.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:05 am
In my office (Brooklyn ) that would be $19-$20.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
I live in the Brooklyn area. I'm making $17.00 an hour. I do more than secretarial work. I pretty much run the local main office.

So you are an Office manager.

List out your responsibilities, not here, but to give yourself a better idea of what you do. So you can justify your ask for more money - or be ready to confidently apply for another similar position, if you don’t get that.

das

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:41 am
amother wrote:

Do you get any benefits?

From the little you shared it seems you should be getting AT LEAST 20- an hour.

As another poster suggested, write down exactly what your responsibilities are. How ireplacable are you? Would someone easily be trained in to take you over or would things kind of fall apart without you?

If it's the latter, do not be afraid to play hardball. If you "run the office" you are giving them a great deal and they know it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 6:26 am
Fwiw, in your OP, you stated that you are paid minimum wage. In NY (you live in Brooklyn, correct?) minimum wage is $9.70/hour.

In any case, whats stopping you from looking for another job? Are you paid in cash? Then the $17/hour you get is more like $21/hour. If you feel that you are worth more and the boss disagrees, why not apply elsewhere?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 6:31 am
watergirl wrote:
Fwiw, in your OP, you stated that you are paid minimum wage. In NY (you live in Brooklyn, correct?) minimum wage is $9.70/hour.

In any case, whats stopping you from looking for another job? Are you paid in cash? Then the $17/hour you get is more like $21/hour. If you feel that you are worth more and the boss disagrees, why not apply elsewhere?

Minimum wage is $12 or $13 depending on the size of the business.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
Minimum wage is $12 or $13 depending on the size of the business.

I stand corrected. https://www.ny.gov/new-york-st.....-wage

das

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 9:11 am
Who gets paid in cash these days?! Even if businesses would want to break the law like that, they dont have cash because customers don't use cash.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:13 am
das wrote:
Who gets paid in cash these days?! Even if businesses would want to break the law like that, they dont have cash because customers don't use cash.

Not literally cash. Cash, meaning under the table. And tons of offices pay like this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics