Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help with smart, stubbern, cute and defiant 18 month old

cinnamon

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 3:21 am
I'm kind of at a lost here.
He's my fifth child, the most adourable, lovable, cuddly kid and he's really giving me a run for my money.

He has endless energy and gets everywhere and into everything. I can't turn my back on him for a minute.
I was folding laundry in dd's room and went to put the clothes in the closet when there was a load crash. The kid pushed the toy box up to the other wall and climbed on it to stand on tiptoes and reach the knick knacks dd keeps on a high shelf!

When I tell him "no" he'll look at me and smile and than go and do it anyway.

The real problem is that he hits and bites when I take something away from him or take him away from somplace he wants to be.
I try to hold his hand and say "no" sternly but that doesn't seem to be working...

I would just call it a phase and wait for him to grow up a bit because he really is still a baby and I can't really know how much he understands but he started gan today and the first thing he did when he saw another kid take a toy was go over to him and hit him!
I don't want him to have problems in gan.

Anyway I can get him to stop hitting and biting?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 3:33 am
Oooooh boy! He sounds really smart!

Keep redirecting him, over and over and over. Don't let him out of your sight. Pop him in a pack n' play if you have to step out of the room. He'll hate it, but it's for his own safety.

Eventually he will understand consequences better. Right now you just have to stay on top of him.

I have a strong feeling that if you tried to give him a potch he would just giggle at you, so don't even try. Some kids are just like that. (DD was one of those!)

cinnamon

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 3:57 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Keep redirecting him, over and over and over. Don't let him out of your sight. Pop him in a pack n' play if you have to step out of the room. He'll hate it, but it's for his own safety.

Eventually he will understand consequences better. Right now you just have to stay on top of him.

I have a strong feeling that if you tried to give him a potch he would just giggle at you, so don't even try. Some kids are just like that. (DD was one of those!)

Yes lots and lots of redirecting which I can sort of handle at home but I'm worried about his behavior in gan...

I just spoke to the gannenet. She says he was fine and everything's okay.
The way he went over to that little kid and hit him just shocked me...

salt

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 4:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I wouldn't advise potching a child who hits as it is. He won't differentiate between your hit and his.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 4:10 am
salt wrote:
I wouldn't advise potching a child who hits as it is. He won't differentiate between your hit and his.

yup. He learnt to hit from play group and his six year old brother...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 4:20 am
Hopefully the gananet has seen it all before, and will be able to help break the habit.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 8:15 am
Totally frustrating stage! My daughter (20 mnths) is very similar to your little one although more in a girly way. personally I believe its food related. when she eats healthy and well she is so much better behaved and doesnt hit and pull kids hair. But when she is tired not eating well she is an obnoxious child. Not sure if this is helpful, I have read the book "what is eating your child" - its a doctor/nutritionist that strongly believes that behaviors is very food related.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics