Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wages
Previous  1  2

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:26 pm
It sounds like they know that they have you no matter what. If I were you, I would work on my confidence and self worth. You should look for other options and then when you have something that sounds promising or you actually land the job, you can go to them and give them the ultimatum.

I would say: I have approached you about a raise and you said that you can't give it to me.
(Btw, who shares the raises of employees with the other employees? As far as I know, payroll is confidential. This is just their lousy attempt at an excuse for not raising you.)
Then you can say that you found a job at $25.00 and hour and give them the choice of matching it.

Employers lose their most dedicated and valuable employees like this. Even if no one is irreplaceable.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:41 pm
watergirl wrote:
I stand corrected. https://www.ny.gov/new-york-st.....-wage

She's also entitled to time and a half for all hours over 40 per week. So if she's properly compensated, she's making about $55,000 a year, which is a boatload more than minimum.

OP, your employer doesn't care what others are making. It cares what its paying you. Get together your resume, and look for another job.

You can also check Glassdoor for comparable salaries, but I don't think they'll care.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 2:05 pm
I don't know why everyone is saying $20 per hour. Starting salary for a 19-year-old girl straight out of seminary is $15 per hour. If she's been working for them for 8 years, working 10-12 hour workdays, she should be making more than $20 per hour.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 5:27 pm
17.00 for secretarial work is nice. We start our secretaries at 12.00 an hour . Those with more experience 15.00. It all depends what your boss would pay not to risk losing you.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
17.00 for secretarial work is nice. We start our secretaries at 12.00 an hour . Those with more experience 15.00. It all depends what your boss would pay not to risk losing you.

$12.00 an hour?! Your office must not be in Brooklyn, Lakewood or Monsey, because that is an extraordinarily low starting salary that would not go in those areas.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 7:28 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
$12.00 an hour?! Your office must not be in Brooklyn, Lakewood or Monsey, because that is an extraordinarily low starting salary that would not go in those areas.

If she is paying it - clearly people are willing to work at that rate where the company is located - or they just really want to work there.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics