Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Gym attire
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
I think we agree then. If you're swimming, wear a bathing suit. There's no reason for a skimpy bikini when a one-piece will do. If you are at the gym, wear comfortable clothes that allow a full range of motion. I would think yoga pants and a t-shirt serve just as well as leggings and a tank top.

But again, that's me and those are my sensitivities. I can't pretend halacha demands what I think is appropriate. I think my sensitivities express a correct understanding of halacha, but I cannot impose it on others.

As I've just posted above, the way I see it is that leggings and shirts are the equivalent to bathing suits, and sports bras and shorts are the equivalent to a bikini.

But as you say, each to his own. And we all have our own sensitivities. So with that said, I think it's unfair to label a person's choice of gym attire as a reflection of their internals or externals.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:52 am
amother wrote:
Yes, with gym attire, leggings and tank tops or short sleeve tees are the equivalent to a bathing suit. Short bottoms and sports bras would be equivalent to a bikini.

I should have clarified. Imo a bikini is less tznius not just because it shows more skin but because it no longer about the functional piece of clothing but rather a focus on the external and bad attitude of look at my body. Similarly with leggings and a tank top. If a short sleeve t shirt is functional accepted gym attire than leggings and a tank top is literally there to look cute in an untznius way.

However, maybe because it became so accepted apparently in Lakewood to dress like this than leggings and a tank top is like a bathing suit.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:56 am
amother wrote:
I think we agree then. If you're swimming, wear a bathing suit. There's no reason for a skimpy bikini when a one-piece will do. If you are at the gym, wear comfortable clothes that allow a full range of motion. I would think yoga pants and a t-shirt serve just as well as leggings and a tank top.

But again, that's me and those are my sensitivities. I can't pretend halacha demands what I think is appropriate. I think my sensitivities express a correct understanding of halacha, but I cannot impose it on others.

How are yoga pants more tznius than leggings?

And if you are engaging in a very active, sweaty workout, a tank top is way more comfortable than anything with sleeves.

Not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. These are practical clothing choices for a very specific task.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:00 am
amother wrote:
I should have clarified. Imo a bikini is less tznius not just because it shows more skin but because it no longer about the functional piece of clothing but rather a focus on the external and bad attitude of look at my body. Similarly with leggings and a tank top. If a short sleeve t shirt is functional accepted gym attire than leggings and a tank top is literally there to look cute in an untznius way.

However, maybe because it became so accepted apparently in Lakewood to dress like this than leggings and a tank top is like a bathing suit.

Exactly, every person and community is different. That's why I don't agree with painting everyone with one big brush. And that's exactly why I think its unfair to say that the choice of gym attire reflects anything at all.

And what would be if a woman does have the desire to look cute in an untznius way? What's wrong with her getting it out of her system in a venue that's fit for it? The fact that she is able to keep it at bay at all other times and only expresses it in a proper venue, actually speaks more about her internal values than anything else.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly, every person and community is different. That's why I don't agree with painting everyone with one big brush. And that's exactly why I think its unfair to say that the choice of gym attire reflects anything at all.

And what would be if a woman does have the desire to look cute in an untznius way? What's wrong with her getting it out of her system in a venue that's fit for it? The fact that she is able to keep it at bay at all other times and only expresses it in a proper venue, actually speaks more about her internal values than anything else.

I hear what you're saying but that can only be true if one doesn't think this is the wrong thing to do. In that case yes go in a sports bra too. Otoh if someone hold its wrong then its wrong and we dont do the wrong thing to get it out of our systems (maybe with a heter I guess). But again I follow daas torah and my rabbanim do not allow this but if in other circles its ok - enjoy, I'm really not trying to pick a fight.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
I hear what you're saying but that can only be true if one doesn't think this is the wrong thing to do. In that case yes go in a sports bra too. Otoh if someone hold its wrong then its wrong and we dont do the wrong thing to get it out of our systems (maybe with a heter I guess). But again I follow daas torah and my rabbanim do not allow this but if in other circles its ok - enjoy, I'm really not trying to pick a fight.

So your rabanim say it’s assur to go to an all woman’s gym with leggings and a tank top? I doubt it.
What do they say about wearing a bathing suit to the pool?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So your rabanim say it’s assur to go to an all woman’s gym with leggings and a tank top? I doubt it.
What do they say about wearing a bathing suit to the pool?

I responded to that earlier but I'll repeat myself here.
The problem that my Rabbonim have with it is not about how much skin is being shown. Rather its about not respecting yourself as a frum Jew and dressing to represent that even if not technically assur by the letter of the law. Obviously if there was a certain case where a women felt for whatever reason she NEEDED this since its not wrong to the same degree as in front of men she may be told otherwise. But as a general hashkafah yes they are against not presenting yourself as a non-jew. (Against it, not assur. I never said assur. Although what may be assur for one person might not be for the next...)

Therefore, since wearing a one piece bathing suit is purely for functional purposes then its ok. A bikini is another level of look at my body. Therefore they hold thats not ol even if there are no men. Tight leggings and a tank top, vs a tee and baggier pants, are also in that category of past the functionality of gym attire but just worn to look cute.

I honestly find it sad that people can't seem to find anything wrong with this in those circles.
Especially when a lot of this community prides itself on its tznius but clearly its all about the externals once again... Call me crazy but imo a real tzanuah (not that I'm calling myself one at all) on the inside and outside wouldnt wear a tank top and leggings outside her home.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise