Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mccain’s Funeral service

Cheiny

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 1:14 pm
Is it right to make political jabs during the memorial tribute speeches? Yuch. I hoped it would be just about him-his heroism, accomplishments, all that-not about taking political shots. I feel so bad for his daughter who’s crying a lot.

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 8:35 pm
I didn't watch the coverage, but I thought it was inappropriate to exclude Sarah Palin. She's never been anything but gracious, to my knowledge, even when McCain shifted blame to her for his 2008 loss to Obama.

This whole thing reminds me a little of the people in my parents' retirement community. They plan their levayas in detail, long before there's any reason to think such plans are necessary. They don't actually write the hespedim. At least I don't think they do. They do everything up to that point, though. One of their friends has a whole folder with notes on who speaks when; what points he wants made; and the notice he wants printed in the paper.

I suggested that maybe they should all start holding their levayas before they're actually niftar. That way they could make sure everything was done the way they wanted, and they could enjoy the event in person!

McCain sounds like he probably had a folder with notes, too.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:45 pm
I agree. I lost so much respect for him after I heard he didn’t want Sara Palin or the president of the U.S. I would’ve hoped he could show more dignity and forgiveness at the end of his life. What does he have against Palin? Did he still blame her for his losing the presidential election ? He’s the one who chose her!

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 12:58 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I agree. I lost so much respect for him after I heard he didn’t want Sara Palin or the president of the U.S. I would’ve hoped he could show more dignity and forgiveness at the end of his life. What does he have against Palin? Did he still blame her for his losing the presidential election ? He’s the one who chose her!

It took POTUS two days to lower the flag for McCain.

As for Palin, do some reading from his campaign manager to see how her incompetence helped him lose the election... and likely elect current POTUS. McCain had valid reasons for who he asked to do what. It's his funeral, let him lie in peace

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:11 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
It took POTUS two days to lower the flag for McCain.

As for Palin, do some reading from his campaign manager to see how her incompetence helped him lose the election... and likely elect current POTUS. McCain had valid reasons for who he asked to do what. It's his funeral, let him lie in peace

Whether she was incompetent or a good running mate is beside the point. McCain made a calculated decision that he knew full well would be analyzed and critiqued to not invite his former running mate to his funeral. As McCain knew we would, we are now analyzing his decision. Here's my opinion: It makes McCain look petty and foolish. It's a funeral for goodness sake. They have a history together and will always be linked. I never saw or heard Palin badmouth or be critical of McCain. It's putting her in an awkward position to be gracious even though he just punched her in the face.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:15 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Whether she was incompetent or a good running mate is beside the point. McCain made a calculated decision that he knew full well would be analyzed and critiqued to not invite his former running mate to his funeral. As McCain knew we would, we are now analyzing his decision. Here's my opinion: It makes McCain look petty and foolish. It's a funeral for goodness sake. They have a history together and will always be linked. I never saw or heard Palin badmouth or be critical of McCain. It's putting her in an awkward position to be gracious even though he just punched her in the face.

I would imagine he doesn't want to give her any publicity. I wouldn't.

doctorima

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:30 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I would imagine he doesn't want to give her any publicity. I wouldn't.

He gave her a lot more publicity by not inviting her and making this whole issue out of it. If she'd been invited, she would have come in quietly and not made it about her, just like none of the other guests is being discussed.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:31 pm
Cheiny wrote:

45 very famously stated that McCain was not a war hero. "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

They were not allies. In fact, its been described as a "bitter feud."

McCain refused to endorse 45 because of 45's foul-mouthed comments. "When Mr. Trump attacks women and demeans the women in our nation and in our society, that is a point where I just have to part company .... It's not pleasant for me to renounce the nominee of my party; he won the nomination fair and square. But I have daughters. I have friends. I have so many wonderful people on my staff. They cannot be degraded and demeaned in that fashion." 45 responded by calling McCain "foul mouthed," in contrast to his own "locker room remarks." (FTR, I don't recall McCain ever being "foul mouthed." I certainly never heard him brag about grabbing women's crotches.)

At a rally in Arizona, 45 referred to McCain as an "incompetent politician[]."

Then, of course, after McCain's death, the White House did not follow the usual protocol re flying the flag at half mast.

And see this video: https://www.theguardian.com/us.....video

Funerals are not places for feuds. They are places to put it all aside and honor the dead. Having 45 there wouldn't do that.

As for Palin ... rightly or wrongly, McCain blamed her for his loss. He wanted to highlight his successes, not his failures. And he wanted his funeral to be a fusion, to show that both sides can cooperate, even if they can't agree. Palin would have hurt that message.

I'm not mentioning politics. Agree with him or not, McCain gave to his country, in Vietnam and in Congress. And people who know better than me have suggested that his cancer was preemptively related to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam.

Let the man rest in peace.

Fox

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 1:53 pm
When we're able to take a longer historical view, I suspect that Trump and McCain will be seen as very similar in temperment and personality -- which is probably part of the reason they got under one another's skins so effectively.

Both have demonstrated the capacity for tremendous leadership, good strategic thinking, and the ability to forge unlikely alliances and make friends in unlikely places. At the same time, both have shown themselves to be prickly, mercurial, and petty. Trump and McCain are both the subject of anecdotes highlighting their graciousness and generosity -- as well as anecdotes displaying their ambition and disregard for others.

While I'm no huge fan of Palin's, I think she was treated badly by McCain, his campaign, and the RNC. She was obviously seriously underprepared for the national spotlight, and she was nominated for the VP position precisely because she was a bit of a loose cannon -- she was designed to bring a little pep and vigor to a campaign that looked not just like a bunch of old, white men, but a bunch of tired, old, white men. When she wasn't successful, which was pretty predictable, no one wasted any time in throwing her under the bus.

Despite the current media whitewashing, McCain had a lot of enemies on Capitol Hill, and he was known for holding political grudges. Palin is actually getting the last word by continuing to be gracious despite this ridiculous snub. And, honestly, she'll get more press out of it by not being invited than had she attended.

The real drama is now moving to who will be appointed to fill McCain's Senate seat. There are no clear, perfect candidates, and Governor Ducey will be under pressure to appoint someone who will (a) vote for Brett Kavinaugh's confirmation and (b) either win re-election in 2020 or effectively hand off the seat to another Republican. The plot thickens.

leah233

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 2:03 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

As for Palin ... rightly or wrongly, McCain blamed her for his loss. He wanted to highlight his successes, not his failures. And he wanted his funeral to be a fusion, to show that both sides can cooperate, even if they can't agree. Palin would have hurt that message.

By snubbing and acting so not nicely to Palin he certainly was not highlighting his successes
in being a great moral character. Rather it confirms the accusation of him having been a backstabber. (I first heard that accusation when he was running for president)

How would Palin's quiet presence by his funeral hurt the message that both sides can cooperate?

The deliberate exclusion of her seems to prove the opposite .

fmt4

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 3:19 pm
Joe Biden’s speech at the funeral was so beautiful. I assure you that no one will be making a speech like that at Donald Trump’s funeral Rolling Eyes. Many, many people loved and respected John McCain. Trump’s own wife can barely stand him.
Please, spare us the comparisons.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 3:34 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Joe Biden’s speech at the funeral was so beautiful. I assure you that no one will be making a speech like that at Donald Trump’s funeral Rolling Eyes. Many, many people loved and respected John McCain. Trump’s own wife can barely stand him.
Please, spare us the comparisons.

If anyone hasn't read this yet, they should. Mo Udall was a Democrat who took McCain under his wing. And McCain continued to repay him even after Udall could no longer do anything for McCain.

http://www.slate.com/articles/......html

We need to live in a world where Udall can take McCain in hand. Where Biden and McCain can be staunch opponents and respectful friends. Now we've left that world. Now we live in a world where instead of pledging to do what's best for the US, the (then soon to be) Speaker of House declared “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill [the Democratic agenda], stop it, slow it down, whatever we can,” and the minority leader said, “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.” Block others. Not do what's best. Sad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics