Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why cant I decide on a kitchen? I fear regretting my choices

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 1:40 am
I had a bad experience when putting a bathroom in. The person who sold me tiles grossly underquoted cost of the job, and it ended up costing way more, the contractor made mistakes, the vanity wasnt cheap and is cracking because its faux wood, not good with water, and a few other issues.

I need a kitchen badly, my kitchen is atrocious, but I cant decide who to buy the cabinets from, whether to buy custom or semi custom, which color and door style to choose, whether to do heavy traditional (that I always loved but its "out" now), or less traditional (I hate modern), which appliances to choose, whether to use a decorator to manage the job, even though my taste is very good, in most peoples opinion, and I tried a decorator once and I didnt go for her taste.

How do people make so many decisions at once, on a very expensive project that you wont redo for many years?

Most things I buy, I decide 1 2 3, and I get loads of compliments.

Any advice?

chummus

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:07 am
Don't think into it so much....you will drive yourself crazy! And don't use the guy who did your bathroom.
If you were to hire a decorator they could help you with all your decisions, appliances and contractors.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:20 am
amother wrote:
I had a bad experience when putting a bathroom in. The person who sold me tiles grossly underquoted cost of the job, and it ended up costing way more, the contractor made mistakes, the vanity wasnt cheap and is cracking because its faux wood, not good with water, and a few other issues.

I need a kitchen badly, my kitchen is atrocious, but I cant decide who to buy the cabinets from, whether to buy custom or semi custom, which color and door style to choose, whether to do heavy traditional (that I always loved but its "out" now), or less traditional (I hate modern), which appliances to choose, whether to use a decorator to manage the job, even though my taste is very good, in most peoples opinion, and I tried a decorator once and I didnt go for her taste.

How do people make so many decisions at once, on a very expensive project that you wont redo for many years?

Any advice?

If you aren’t planning to sell any time soon- built a kitchen to your taste. You are designing for you. (Caveat - DH must be ‘neutral’ at worst on it).

I can’t make choices either.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 2:25 am
chummus wrote:
Don't think into it so much....you will drive yourself crazy! And don't use the guy who did your bathroom.
If you were to hire a decorator they could help you with all your decisions, appliances and contractors.

I think the opposite. Think about it intensely.

Look at builder magazines and get a feel for what you like which you do already. Learn the latest designs and material. Visit showrooms. Visit design centers.

Once you get your design, show it to different cabinet people. Go to their showroom. They are likely to tweak it for you for free. They did for me. We had several people change the design.

We had eveyone who looked at the design price the cabinets. We got the job for one third what we were initially quoted for the cabinets. Shop them hard. Get the best quality you can afford.

We got our appliances from Malky of town appliance in Lakewood. She is knowledgeable and her prices are rock bottom. We bought enough appliances from her for different properties that I am completely comfortable recommending her.

I don't like decorators either. Most aren't very good. You are going to be living there. Get it designed to your taste.

My kitchen is a show stopper. The cabinet manufacturer asked to feature it on the cover of his catalogue. I have zero regrets because I put the time in.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 3:54 am
Back when the real estate market was good, I used to flip houses (like you see on TV shows).

Your number one rule is, whatever you do, plan for it to cost twice as much, and take three times as long. That way you won't get any nasty surprises.

Second rule - GET BIDS! Interview at least 3 contractors, talk over your plans, and see who you are comfortable with. It's not about finding the lowest prices, it's more of a gut feeling. Sometimes the one with the highest prices is the most honest, or the one with the middle price is comfortable to talk to and will be flexible.

Third rule - Neutral counter tops and floors. Paint can always be changed, but floors and counters are very hard to replace.

Get solid wood cabinets, with pull out wire baskets. This adds extra value to your home, as well as being more efficient. Wood can always be sanded and repainted if you get tired of looking at it.

Who cares what's "in"? You are going to be in that kitchen every single day, but how often are guests there? Design it to please yourself, not the Cohens next door.

Kitchens are a great investment. If done properly, you will get a dollar for dollar return, if not more, when you decide to sell the house.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 6:12 am
You sound like me and shaitels. I've had so many bad experiences that I just can't purchase the unknown anymore.
So I only purpose ready pre-cuts. Try on the finished product only. If it looks good and feels good the way it is without tweeking then I know I can buy it. If it still needs to be cut and I don't know what style I want or need to trust someone not to cut too much or too little - forget it.
Don't go for custom. Pick out a traditional cabinet that you love (I just did even though everyone told me to go more "in"), tell the designer at the place you picked what features are important for you. Show them the space. Get the designer to show you a plan. Tell them what in their design you're thinking of changing and ask their opinion. See why they'd say no and consider their opinion but stay true to your gut.
Don't hire separate cabinet seller, designer, contractor! For someone like us - need one person from start to finish. No misunderstandings!

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 6:51 am
It's okay to have anxiety after a bad experience.
Like someone mentioned before go for whats practical for you, not what's in.
Find out about the places that everyone recommends in your town and go to those places and pray for the best.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 7:50 am
amother wrote:

Any advice?

If you live in monsey I can recommend the lady who designed my kitchen, she has done this for years. Kitchen Gallery. I love my kitchen and bless her every day.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 8:11 am
If you plan to stay in your house, make the style choices based on your taste. Not what is trendy, not what a decorator says is "in." In cabinets, purchase the best quality you can within your budget. Salespeople sometimes say things about their products that are not true because they want to make the sale. So read the specs, look at the warranties.

Note to FF: resale is a completely different dynamic. Many many years ago I made some style decisions based on resale, and was very unhappy until I moved 3 years later because I still had to live there.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 8:44 am
Definitely do your homework! You must he 100% happy with your decision.
A full kitchen remodel will be expensive and you deserve to be absolutely happy with it.
Especial

mom39

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 8:57 am
You sound exactly like me!!! I wanted to do a kitchen and I just cant decide! Op I'd love to hear what you pick and who you decide to buy your cabinets from - maybe you'll help me

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:42 am
In remodeling a kitchen, you need to make choices regarding both functionality and design. Often functionality and design will need to be balanced.

I am currently gut remodeling my kitchen and the process is both fun and terrifying. I couldn't do it without the assistance of my designer who is helpful with both design and function as well as a GC that is trustworthy. And yes - the old cliche is true - twice as expensive and three times as long - or vice versa. As well as cheap, good or fast - choose two :-) For me hopefully it's good because it isn't cheap or fast as my whole remodel is stretching into the fifth month. shock

For me, I went through loads of pictures of kitchens I liked. I would save those that I liked without giving much thought. For me, I knew that I absolutely didn't want a beige, white or gray kitchen with Shaker doors Very Happy. I was drawn to kitchens in the Arts & Crafts style with medium stained wood so that was the start.

I then considered how I functioned in the kitchen. There are certain "rules" regarding kitchen design like the work triangle - you don't want to have to walk back and forth enormous distances between sink, refrigerator and prep area. You don't want to have barriers like an island that you have to walk around. Then there are other functional issues - e.g. I am short so I had toe kick step built in where there were upper cabinets so I could reach the upper shelves; I wanted my Cuisinart and heavy KA mixer to be accessible but not on display so I had an extension built so they could be slid out; I knew I wanted single bowl sinks because I was so tired of not being able to lay pans flat for washing; I went with side opening wall ovens because I wanted to be able to directly access oven and I can't do that with an oven that comes down because my arms don't reach the interior :-) I am having a drawer lined with tarnish proof felt material for my silver because it's crazy to have it in box in the hall closet - I want to start using it every day which I don't because I don't want to shlep it down :-)

And FWIW, you want as many drawers as possible for your lower cabinets - you don't want doors with rollouts. Drawers are way more functional and easier to use - you open a drawer and take out what you want. Most modern kitchens have wide and deep drawers which hold pots and pans and can also hold dishes as well if you want. And you want full extension drawers as well.

Then research the heck out of various material choices and how things are constructed. In order to know whether you are getting a good quality cabinet you need to know the basics of what makes a high quality cabinet. And the the pros and cons of various surface materials for counters.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, go to the forums on houzz.com because that is a community of people who can offer input on everything from basic plumbing issues; cabinet construction; design choices; good faucets etc. Beyond the basics, I learned about stuff I didn't know existed - an air switch for my garbage disposal instead of an electrical switch; an "always full" for dish soap so that instead of the tiny soap dispenser that is attached to the pump, there is a large Costco sized bottle in the sink cabinet.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:49 am
I agree with another above me. I had a contractor and decorator who helped a lot with all the purchasing. I also looked on houzz a ton so I knew exactly what look I wanted for the kitchen. Good luck!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 10:08 am
All decorators designers and contractors are in this to make money, thats understood. But some are more honest and customer-pleasing than others.

Can anyone recommend who in Brooklyn they feel is honest and good to work with, and yet reasonably/average priced for custom or semi custom work?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 3:33 pm
I used kitchen connections a while back... He was excellent, very patient and most importantly very upfront. He's located in Boro park but don't have his number saved anymore.
Good luck!! It's quite the project!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics