Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I finished reading everything they wrote
Previous  1  2  3  Next

saralem

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:25 am
I second the recommendations of McCall Smith, esp the 1st Ladies Detective series; Rosamunde Pilcher; the Maisie Dobbs series is wonderful, written by Jacqueline Winspear ( I think).

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:35 am
smss wrote:
Oh yes- Dorothy Sayers! Start with Murder Must Advertise.

And for Maeve Binchy, start with Scarlet Feather or A Week in Winter.

I was coming to post this! I loved Murder Must Advertise, I think that is her best book.

Maeve Binchy - I read them a long time ago, but I think I liked "Light a Penny Candle" the best. I thought her earlier books were much better than her later books, just my opinion.

Georgette Heyer wrote clean romance, if that is your cup of tea, and she also wrote some murder mysteries as well. I thought they were very good.

Contemporary - I really liked Sophie Kinsella, and I THINK they are all pretty clean. Light, funny reading, with a message that is relevant to all of us Wink .

I also really liked Pamela Morsi - I just read the Cotton Queen - very interesting and insightful, but I think her books do have some very mild explicit content and/or language. So not giving a hechsher on them, but I just thought they were really good.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:57 pm
Tom Boddet (not sure of spelling, yes, the Motel 6 voice) wrote a few sweet, easy reading books.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:24 pm
Michael Koryta
John Grisham
Anne Tyler

LeahRivka

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:53 pm
Similar topic here

smss

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:30 pm
LeahRivka wrote:
Similar topic here

Thanks, that reminded me of Lisa Scottoline! And John Lescroart is another clean-ish mystery writer. Neither one is as clean as Agatha Christie, but pretty limited profanity and no explicit s-x scenes that I can recall.

Btw, The Help and The Kitchen House are both EXCELLENT historical fiction books. And I don't like historical fiction but I LOVED these.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
(Anon not to give away my sn)

I finished reading everything by Agatha Christie & Danielle Steel. I need suggestions of other authors or Y"t will be very long. I like their style because it's kept light, reflects on human nature and has no explicit s-x or heated romance.

Can you pleeeaaassseee help me?

How can you finish Danielle Steele? She has a new book every 2 months.....
I like Rosie Thomas

Luanne Rice

believeit

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 5:05 am
John grissham is sam style as daniel steel. Whoa I always used to read both agatha and danielle. Loved these books. Nowadays I can't read thrillers anymore. Enjoy them.

ladYdI

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:25 am
Lisa Genova
Pam gen off
Kristen Hanna
Lisa wingate
Nicholas sparks
Faye Keller man
Jonathon Keller man
Nelson demille
Henry Denker
Elizabeth adler

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:18 am
ladYdI wrote:
Lisa Genova
Pam gen off
Kristen Hanna
Lisa wingate
Nicholas sparks
Faye Keller man
Jonathon Keller man
Nelson demille
Henry Denker
Elizabeth adler

The only writer I'm familiar with is Faye Kellerman. Her books might be too dark/not clean enough.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:34 am
Peter tremayne wrote the sister fidelma books; they do revolve around a Celtic nun but are very interesting & different.

Am I the only one who hated Pride & Prejudice? I read it in high school and thought everyone was insufferable.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 1:40 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Peter tremayne wrote the sister fidelma books; they do revolve around a Celtic nun but are very interesting & different.

Am I the only one who hated Pride & Prejudice? I read it in high school and thought everyone was insufferable.

Read it again now. Jane Austen was insightful and wickedly funny. The writing is slow for modern high school kids.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:09 pm
Or maybe watch the movie version first. (I recommend the 2005 version.) I am sure if I had read it first as a teenager I wouldn't have liked it, either. I'm glad I didn't read it until a good decade after I graduated high school!

There's a reason why Mr. Darcy still polls as the #1 literary crush for women readers, after all.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:29 pm
Alice Munro

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:25 pm
Wow, thanks for the recommendations.

I finished Danielle Steel because I read each new book as it comes out but have gone through everything else she already wrote.

As far as "clean", language isn't my main concern.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 4:57 pm
Has anyone here read Beverly Lewis? Several of her books are set among the Amish. From reading reviews it sounds like they're clean. I'm just concerned that maybe there's too much xianity in them.

These look quite interesting, but I don't think I would buy any till I know more.

e.g. The Redemption of Sarah Cain
Child of Mine

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 8:55 am
Just remembered Julie Hyzy. She has two series, the White House chef and the Grace series.

LeahRivka

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 10:40 am
Finished reading Mapping the Bones by Jane Yolen (she also wrote The Devil's Arithmatic), I was disappointed in the book.

Now reading The Sewing Machine by Natalie Fergie. So far it is pretty good.

penguin

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 3:54 pm
I came across a young adult book by M.J. Putney, Dark Mirror, which I enjoyed very much.

Looking at other things she's written (judging, of course, by the covers) it looks like very hot romance, which does not interest me. Anyone read her books and can provide more info?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 12 2018, 5:14 pm
penguin wrote:
I came across a young adult book by M.J. Putney, Dark Mirror, which I enjoyed very much.

Looking at other things she's written (judging, of course, by the covers) it looks like very hot romance, which does not interest me. Anyone read her books and can provide more info?

I'm going to admit that I read her books. Her historicals are, as you say, really hot, and also very dark. Her contemporaries, if I recall correctly, are cleaner but they definitely tackle heavy topics.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room