Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you wash fruits and veggies?

How do you wash fruits and vegetables?
Not at all or dry wiping only  
 3%  [ 6 ]
Cold water  
 69%  [ 123 ]
Warm water  
 7%  [ 14 ]
Water and hand soap or dish washing detergent  
 12%  [ 22 ]
Water and special fruit and veg cleaning liquid  
 5%  [ 9 ]
I always peel all fruits and vegetables  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 178

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:03 am
I'm not referring to kashrut concerns but to removing chemicals and pesticides.
So far, I usually wash them well with warm water and then rub them dry on a towel or paper towel for additional cleaning. But recently, I came across some article (don't remember where) that compared different cleaning methods and found that mere water gets only 30 - 50 % of the pesticides and chemicals off. Using special detergent brings better results. Peeling obviously the best.
What do you do?
Please indicate also which country you live in.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 31 2018, 9:23 am
France.
I don't peel unless needed, I do cold water or even wiping, if it's not kashrus

chani8

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 5:38 am
Veggies are generally grown in poop and pesticides and touched by lots of workers, dropped on the ground, dropped on filthy grocery floors, put in grocery bins and touched by lots of people. Science shows it's not enough to wash in solely water. A little soap or vinegar is necessary.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 7:42 am
Trader Joe’s sells a fruit and veggie wash.

For large individual produce like tomatoes or cucumbers, a few drops massaged onto it then rinsed off with running cold water.

For small produce like grapes or blueberries, a bowl full of water with a squirt of veggie wash, swish it around for 30-60 seconds then rinse thoroughly.

I prefer to use cold rather than warm water, I feel like it keeps the produce fresher?

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 5:45 pm
Just wanted to point out that you need to wash fruits and veggies with soap and water even before peeling them so you don't cut the bacteria/virus straight through the fruit/veggie.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:01 pm
I soap and water all my fruits and veggies. The thought of other people touching my food gets me hdjehfbjdbxjsjjagsbfjjchhsjdnndnndn!!!!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:03 pm
chani8 wrote:
Veggies are generally grown in poop and pesticides and touched by lots of workers, dropped on the ground, dropped on filthy grocery floors, put in grocery bins and touched by lots of people. Science shows it's not enough to wash in solely water. A little soap or vinegar is necessary.

Are you trying to get me to stop eating my veggies😀?

MrsDash

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:04 pm
nchr wrote:
Just wanted to point out that you need to wash fruits and veggies with soap and water even before peeling them so you don't cut the bacteria/virus straight through the fruit/veggie.

Same applies to cans of food that require a can opener. And “pre washed” is an absolute scam. I’ve rewashed the so-called prewashed and the water was filthy!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 6:56 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I soap and water all my fruits and veggies. The thought of other people touching my food gets me hdjehfbjdbxjsjjagsbfjjchhsjdnndnndn!!!!

My favorite new word! I'm struggling a little with the pronunciation, though.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 8:22 pm
Don't want to think about it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen