Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Low Carb Thickeners

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 1:30 pm
My husband is on a low carb diet.

Anyone have any suggestions about a thickener I can use in a kugel instead of potato starch or flour? Ideally, it would be something that works the same and has no taste, and isn't complicated to work with.

Someone mentioned arrowroot - is that an option?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 1:46 pm
debsey wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions about a thickener I can use in a kugel instead of potato starch or flour? Ideally, it would be something that works the same and has no taste, and isn't complicated to work with.

What sort of kugel? I make them without any added starch at all. Extra eggs or whites. Higher temp.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 2:32 pm
I've never personally used this in a kugel, but from my experience baking with it, coconut flour absorbs A LOT of liquid. Almond flour may work too.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 4:05 pm
I don't know anything about thickening kugels but just wanted to say in the nicest way possible that kugel is very carby and maybe he should rather have the chicken?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 5:19 pm
debsey wrote:

Arrowroot has about 16 g carbs vs something like 95 g carbs in a cup. Also it's gummy so you use only 1/3 cup instead of a cup of flour.
But it needs experimenting because it doesn't come out exactly the same (think potato starch).

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 5:25 pm
OP, what kind of kugels? I've been on no carb diets before and made starchless kugels.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 05 2018, 5:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, what kind of kugels? I've been on no carb diets before and made starchless kugels.

Good point. See by me kugel is potatoe or lukshen but he could have broccoli then it's more like vegetables with protein from the eggs.

Sorry for what I wrote before I meant it about potatoe or lukshen kugel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking