Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
It's not always the parents
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 12:12 am
That is a sweet story Fox. Your dd sounds like she was very special, and funny.

But of course, we expect a lot more from teens than from 6 yr olds. And your child was not mocking or bullying. It may have offended others, but in a childish, no tact way.

I dont think Frantic's dd would have been shattered had a friendly 6 yr old sincerely referred her to a hairdresser and a dress shop. She might even have laughed.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:59 am
Fox wrote:
In theory, you're obviously right. The problem in practice is that there is no end to the categories of traits and people that our kids will encounter, and it's impossible to prepare them adequately for people who strike them as different or odd.

I'll share a story about my late DD, Miriam, a"h. I don't mean to make anyone sad, because I think it's a pretty funny story; it's one of my favorite memories.

That was so beautiful.
And yes, it made me smile.
And realize that as the sig line goes, lots of stuff we don't know about people.
And it's not all stuff that makes us more accepting (should I say, tolerant?) (Tolerant?? NIAGARA FALLS!!!!) of others' foibles but makes us appreciate them even more.

ETA: And I agree with Babypink. Not that you shouldn't have been mechanech but obviously it's different.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 9:12 am
Fox your post really made me smile.

It also reminded me of the time a neighbor of my parents told me that the reason my sister might still be single at age 23 is because she really needs to go for a nose job. To be honest, she does have a somewhat bigger nose, but her face handles it. It never occurred to any of us that that might be considered an "issue" by anyone. In the saga of shidduchim, I thought it was the funniest comment we ever got.

(She's B"H very happily married now. I doubt her husband ever noticed her nose in particular.)

Anon to protect her privacy

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
Fox your post really made me smile.

It also reminded me of the time a neighbor of my parents told me that the reason my sister might still be single at age 23 is because she really needs to go for a nose job. To be honest, she does have a somewhat bigger nose, but her face handles it. It never occurred to any of us that that might be considered an "issue" by anyone. In the saga of shidduchim, I thought it was the funniest comment we ever got.

(She's B"H very happily married now. I doubt her husband ever noticed her nose in particular.)

Anon to protect her privacy

Haha I had a pretty bad nose and got married in my early 20s. Then I broke said nose and needed a nose job anyway LOL made no difference to my husband but I certainly like it better!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children