Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What's your favorite part of your kids' school supply list?
Previous  1  2

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 5:29 am
My favorite item is an unruled composition notebook. I got to prove my dedication as a mommy by going to a bunch of stores and checking many sites online.

Thank you morah for allowing me to waste time and money on this.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 6:45 am
A few things- firstly a few dozen of anything so teachers can pool the supplies but still ask for more when my kid has none. (Ie 6 dozen! Pencils).
Do not pool my kids supplies, I don't have the funds to pay for everyone else's stuff.
Second, a special supply that either doesn't get used or a reg one could have been used instead- for ex a special handwriting notebook used to paste sheets into. Why can't you use a marble notebook for this?
Or a specific color/size of binder or folder. Well Walmart only had green 1 inch hardcover left, but sure let me go to 5 stores to get a red 1/2 softcover one specifically.
Ugh!
Anon bec I've talked about this irl.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 7:05 am
7 boxes of tissues. 7!!! I know little kids have runny noses, but do they really store over 150 boxes of tissues in the classroom at the beginning of the year, or am I the only mother who actually follows the list and bought them?

dorothy1

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 7:12 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I love threads like this
When I was first becoming frum I was so resentful to my parents for going to PS
But the PS gave me a bag with all the supplies I needed for the year the first week

And that was a poor NYC school
My husb went to a posh PS in LI
They gave him a book bag, a backpack, a compass protractor a slide rule
Charcoal pencils special erasers sketch pads
Coloring books
Modeling clay mini chemistry sets and all sorts of cool stuff
He still has some of it 50 years later

I went to public school also and never received supplies from the school. We got long lists of supplies to buy and were asked to buy extra if possible for those who could not afford.
We moved a lot so I went to school in 5+ districts in multiple states.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 9:27 am
The best was that all sefarim need to be in excellent condition. So I should go buy a brand new siddur again, so the cover can fall off on the second day? No. Ds can daven just fine with last years' siddur minus the cover.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 10:07 am
dorothy1 wrote:
I went to public school also and never received supplies from the school. We got long lists of supplies to buy and were asked to buy extra if possible for those who could not afford.
We moved a lot so I went to school in 5+ districts in multiple states.

My husband went to an affluent school

Purple2

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 10:17 am
Yea natural Mom, that’s our hard earned tax dollars at work. It’s not that the ps are so amazing, they’re generous on someone else’s dime.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 11:22 am
Slightly off topic- what's up with homework sheets this year?!
One teacher wants multiple signatures-one for each item of homework (um if I'm signing, my kid did the work. )
One teacher had a whole note telling the 7-8 year olds that she's confident they will remember to do their work every night as they "set their evening goals" etc etc.
What? It sounds very lovely in theory but 7-8 yr olds are a bit young for that. Rolling Eyes

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:00 pm
One year I went to numerous stores looking for "fat pencils" for my 1st grader. Finally found them somewhere. They were never used.

The school supply list is the same every year-even when teachers change. I gave up getting more than the basics until I confirm with the teacher that the supply list is from them-and not 3 teachers ago!

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:06 pm
How about this one: "Please mark each of your child's pencils clearly with their full name."

Um, microscopic handwriting anyone?

erm

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 9:51 pm
$100 calculator

dorothy1

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 7:11 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
My husband went to an affluent school

In that case, his parents probably paid higher property tax (where I lived it was around $200 a year), or paid it in the form of increased rent, and they paid for the supplies anyway.

Public schools are never generous; at best they're giving you back some of the money you already gave them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics