Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Can Parve ever be BETTER than Halavi?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 7:09 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Oh my gosh, so much better with butter, in crust and custard.

But you don't have to use any pareve cream. Smile

The pareve version is pretty good. Unlike desserts which rely heavily on cream and butter.

Sorbet is naturally pareve too.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 7:15 am
Raisin wrote:
But you don't have to use any pareve cream. Smile

The pareve version is pretty good. Unlike desserts which rely heavily on cream and butter.

Sorbet is naturally pareve too.

I agree with that. I find that dark chocolate disguises the flavor of pareve whip, it can taste quite nice as long as you don't compare to the dairy equivalent.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 7:21 am
I’m a big sorbet fan. Dairy ice cream definitely comes in second to a good sorbet or sherbert IMO. Many recipes are super easy, but make sure to use quality ingredients (ie fresh juice instead of bottled).

chanchy123

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 7:41 am
smily wrote:
What is silan?
How do you keep rice crispy from loosing its crispiness?

Silan is date syrup.
I freeze the rice crispy bars so they don't get soggy. I assume you can do the same with the balls.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:35 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I agree with that. I find that dark chocolate disguises the flavor of pareve whip, it can taste quite nice as long as you don't compare to the dairy equivalent.

Other desserts that can also be excellent pareve: Chocolate brownies, apple crumble or any fruit pie. I make a lemon pie that is really good even though it contains pareve cream. Almost any cake. Yeast pastries.

As long as you avoid too much pareve whip.

Metukah - what do you do with the alpro whip? Does it whip up?

ally

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 8:52 am
Zabaglione!

nylon

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 11:56 am
With cakes--I find chocolate or fruit (or another strong flavor like coffee) is easier than vanilla for creamed type cakes (chiffon works well with almost any flavor and is one of my favorites for pareve). With something like white layer cake or pound cake that have a very delicate flavor and usually a high proportion of butter, the taste/texture of the fat comes through too much. I do prefer the flavor of a butter pie crust, but pareve has a good texture and honestly is easier to roll out and handle.

Custards are where I notice the difference in taste/texture the most. Coconut milk and cream work well if you like a coconut flavor though, with a better texture and mouth feel than whip. A friend of mine makes a really delicious piña colada cake, with a pineapple filling and coconut cream frosting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics