Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
They switched my job on me

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:32 pm
I'm making up some names here to avoid giving exact details but so that it's easy to follow.

I was hired by Rainbow about 2 months ago for a position in the Blue department but also with occasional responsibilities in the Red department. Basically, I am supposed to fill in at the Red department if someone is absent for more than a day or two and also during two yearly busy seasons. The split is supposed to be roughly 80/20, and really I work in the Blue department and my job is to do Blue stuff. It's also what I'm qualified for and what I want to do. There is some overlap between the Blue and the Red (otherwise they wouldn't have a Blue person do that filling in), but it's still a different sort of job than what I'm used to and is going to take a bit longer for me to get the hang of, and it is also significantly less interesting (at least for me) than what I'm doing for Blue. But I'm ok with that because it's not the main function of my job and since I really wanted the Blue job, I'm glad to do the Red bits if that's part of the package for the job I really want.

Two weeks after I started, someone in the Red department handed in her two weeks notice. So of course this means I'm now working the Red job until a replacement is hired. Wasn't thrilled about that, but hey, it's temporary. Well, now they've decided they want to hire someone for my original job- the Blue-with-some-red-duties job! I'm not happy with this. I asked why, and was told the head of the Red department wants me to stay. Funny, because he only seems to notice whatever I do wrong, at least that's the impression I've been getting. And I really don't like this work. It was fine when it was a little bit here and there, but I don't want to do this full time for the long term. My pay, benefits, hours etc have not changed. I don't want to lose a job I just got, but I'm really upset that they completely changed the job on me for what I was hired for. Is there a way to tactfully bring this issue up? Or just forget it and grind away at this job until I find a Blue-like job elsewhere?

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:37 pm
When you were hired, did you sign a job description?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 8:47 pm
I would tell an HR person that I was very unhappy in the Red job, and would be much happier in the Blue job for which I was hired. Leaving me in the Red job on a permanent basis would create a very large risk that I would quit. Given the time invested in hiring me - they would be better off returning me in the position for which I was hired, as soon as possible.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 12:17 am
OP that is so frustrating!!

STMommy

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 1:08 pm
OP I was just in your exact situation only in my case I was resisting being put back in my old position, I wanted to remain transferred in my new one. You should ABSOLUTELY say something and not resign yourself to a disliked job with lack of trying. I disagree with amother slategrey though because your emphasis should NOT be about your happiness level, it's likely that to management you're a cog in the wheel and they don't care about you as a person, so you should be bringing up company-related arguments instead regarding your skills, comfort level with the job responsibilities and ability to carry them out, experience, etc. But yes definitely speak up. I did and I stayed where I wanted!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 4:26 pm
Thanks for the encouragement. I actually spoke to the supervisor for the Blue department before I left today. He wished me a shana tova and said I'm doing a great job and he knows I got thrust into a difficult situation. I thanked him for saying such nice things and said I really hope when things settle down it'll all get figured out. Hopefully somewhere in between yamim tovim I will find the time to have a real conversation about this, because I really don't think I'm gonna last long in the Red department. I'm still flummoxed about the Red supervisor. He was critical as ever today, but apparently thinks I'm doing well and has told others as much. What gives?

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 4:38 pm
Oh my gosh I have the same exact story than you maybe even worse I was hired as a simple secretary for copies and phone calls now I do billing tuition copies phone calls buses & newsletters and photos and I get less than 2k a month! Halachicly and legally it is prohibited.

Do you know that if you hire a contractor and he says that the bill will be a hundred thousand and then he realized that It will be another 60,000 you have to pay him a hundred and sixty thousand!
If parts of the job changes and is added then they have to pay you more or take away certain parts of your responsibilities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics