Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me guide 10 yr old first RH in shul

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 10:27 pm
This is the first year that my 10 year old daughter will be joining me for davening in shul on RH, and I would appreciate any guidance or tips on how to guide her. Which parts of the tefila should I encourage her to stay for? (I'm not expecting her to stay for the whole thing). Davening for children is very boring - how can I make it more meaningful for her?

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 10:29 pm
I think Shacharis is the easiest as it has many familiar parts.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 10:47 pm
We used to learn some tefilla's in school & we made bookmarks to put at the right places. Is she learning any tefilla's in school?

animeme

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 10:54 pm
I would do shofar, then she does her regular davening and whatever she will do for shemoneh esrei while everyone davens silent. Then she stays until kedushah, and done. This works especially well second day, when u'nesaneh tokef and kedushah are very early in chazaras hashas. And it allows for shofar early and some nice singing.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 10:56 pm
My 10 year old has been going to shul with her grandmother for the past couple of years on R"H and Y"K because I've been home with the little kids and she belongs in shul already. She gets to bring along snacks and drinks as long as she goes to the lobby to eat so she doesn't disturb anyone inside of shul. She's also allowed to bring a book to read when it's really boring or during parts that are hard to follow. She's allowed to leave for the speech because that's really hard to sit through and not geared towards the kids anyway. If she gets really antsy then she can go run around in the lobby for a few minutes to blow off some energy, but not close to important parts of tefila.

happymom123

Post Sat, Sep 08 2018, 11:29 pm
It might be nice for you to print out some stories connected to the Tefillos for her to read if things get long
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics