Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Fun soup for Rosh Hashana (freezable)

esther11

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:38 pm
Hi all! I’m looking for a good soup recipe for the upcoming yomim tovim, not just standard chicken soup. I’m thinking blended because those usually freeze well. Nothing including beans please.

I was thinking maybe butternut squash soup, but I personally only like when it’s not too sweet and that really depends on the squash! Unless you have a fool proof recipe... Broccoli/cauliflower and split pea soups I made recently so would like a new idea.

Any recommendations?

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:43 pm
This is delicious https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....peas/

ShineBright!

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:50 pm
what about a leek potato soup? (especially good for RH)

esther11

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:51 pm
Wow you are way more fun than me! Not sure if I’m brave enough to try it LOL

esther11

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 12:51 pm
ShineBright! wrote:

I would love to see a recipe if you have a good one, please!

ShineBright!

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:02 pm
I don't actually use a recipe but I know there is a great one in the first BY cookbook. what I do is saute a leek (the white parts cut in pieces) with a small onion and a few pieces of garlic (depends on your taste) then I add 2/3 potatoes cut up and salt and pepper. let it simmer for a bit and then blend it. adjust to your taste - more potates = thicker soup, etc....
Sorry it's not too clear, I always cook like this:)

ETA: I skipped out the water!! put it in with the potatoes and it should generously cover everything in the pot (potatoes EAT water!)

Last edited by ShineBright! on Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShineBright!

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:03 pm
to clarify - this is a small soup (just my husband and I). to make it bigger just add more of everything

N'sMom

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:03 pm
For RH I like to make carrot apple soup. It's similar to butternut squash soup but a bit fruitier.

Saute one huge or two smaller onions until light;y browned.

add
2 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced
2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut up

saute a few more minutes.

add about 8 c water, and a tsp of freshly grated ginger, and simmer until everything is very soft. Puree either with stick blender or cool and puree in food processor. I do the latter bc tHis needs to be very smooth and not lumpy.) Add a TB of fresh lemon juice.

Taste and see if you would like to add a bit more ginger or lemon, but go slow.

Freezes well. Also good as a cold soup. Doubles beautifully.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:06 pm
ShineBright! wrote:

Do you actually have good experience freezing potato soup?

ShineBright!

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:09 pm
blended - absolutely, just need to give it more time to defrost on a low flame. if it's pieces they become a little gross

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:10 pm
This recipe is simple, easy and delicious and people always ask me for the recipe (which I made up )

3 zuchinni peel on
2 medium carrots (peeled)
1 onion
Cut all veggies into large Chunks

Add oil to a pot. Sautee the chunked veggies for about 10 min.
Add 64 oz water
Bring to a boil
Add salt to taste and ground white pepper to taste
Reduce heat , cover and simmer for about 45 min.
Blend soup with immersion blender (hand blender)
The soup will have a silky creamy consistency. (No potatoes needed)

Store in containers and freeze.

My mistake. I initially wrote 32 oz of water . It should be closer to 64 oz of water. I usually fill two 32 oz containers with water and that's how much I use depending on the size of the zuchinnis. If the zuchinnis are smaller I use less water.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Aug 28 2018, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

mom4many

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 1:46 pm
I do the same zucchini soup as thunderstorm but without carrots.

Another soup which is SO easy, you might be able to do it in less than 5 min. before yom tov, but I’m sure you can freeze it too:
Canned pea soup - tastes totally different from split pea soup
It’s basically 1 large fried onion to 1 can peas. Cook with water & spices for half hour and puree with hand blender.

Another idea is mushroom barley soup. The recipe in the purple cookbook also calls for wine!

esther11

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 2:05 pm
Ok so I’m leaning towards zucchini carrot or potato leek so far. Yum. I love soup Smile
Any other ideas are still welcome!

esther11

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 2:05 pm
Thanks to all who responded!

jewwoman

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 5:48 pm
I do a leek and potato soup its yum and if u wana bulk it up a bit more add half a cup of lentils and blend it.
I fry over an onion add sliced leek and a cubed potato add salt n pepper and cover with water. Bring to boil and then simmer.

I also do a tomato soup. Depending on how much time you have quarter tomatoes add oregano salt n pepper drizzle oil put on a tray and roast in oven for 10/15min then peel off skins fry over onion n garlic add tomatoes some tomato paste/ketchup water and bring to boil then simmer n blend.

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 7:21 am
I do a carrot leek soup for RH, because it uses 2 simanim. If you feel brave, it's great with ginger and coconut cream.

neveralone

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 7:48 am
This butternut squash soup isn't the sweet type @ all. Sauté onion (opt red peper) then add carrots, mushroom, butternut squash & water. Season to taste with salt. After soft & cooked blend. You can also do a Yemenite meatball soup: sauté onion, add bag shredded cabbage, diced carrot & parsnip, water, garlic & onion powder, salt, Hawaj spice... spiced ground meat formed into balls. Or you can do a beef leek soup: sauté onion & garlic, add a bunch of leeks diced, add water, beef bones, meat, (opt turkey necks), watercarrot, parsnip, salt, garlic & onion powder, Hawaj spice. You really wanna put in a lot of leeks cuz that's what gives this soup it's body. You can put in potatoes I just don't like putting potato into soup , I think it's a waste of carbs but that's just me... enjoy!!

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:18 am
thunderstorm wrote:
This recipe is simple, easy and delicious and people always ask me for the recipe (which I made up )

3 zuchinni peel on
1 onion

Add 64 oz water
Bring to a boil

My mistake. I initially wrote 32 oz of water . It should be closer to 64 oz of water. I usually fill two 32 oz containers with water and that's how much I use depending on the size of the zuchinnis. If the zuchinnis are smaller I use less water.

This sounds awesome! I'm going to try it for RH! Thanks!

cbsp

Post Sun, Sep 09 2018, 5:49 pm
N'sMom wrote:
For RH I like to make carrot apple soup. It's similar to butternut squash soup but a bit fruitier.

Saute one huge or two smaller onions until light;y browned.

add
2 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced
2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut up

saute a few more minutes.

add about 8 c water, and a tsp of freshly grated ginger, and simmer until everything is very soft. Puree either with stick blender or cool and puree in food processor. I do the latter bc tHis needs to be very smooth and not lumpy.) Add a TB of fresh lemon juice.

Taste and see if you would like to add a bit more ginger or lemon, but go slow.

Freezes well. Also good as a cold soup. Doubles beautifully.

Thank you for this! My 6yo DS practically danced out of the kitchen after tasting it. Now I know I could double it Very Happy

I ended up using a bit more ginger than the recipe calls for, some salt, and a little coriander and cumin.

A gut yontif and a gut gebentched yohr to all my imamother friends.

esther11

Post Tue, Sep 11 2018, 11:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

3 zuchinni peel on
1 onion

Add 64 oz water
Bring to a boil

I made this soup and it was delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics