Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need help from OT with sensory input

LO

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:58 am
Hi!

My daughter (6 yrs old) has two major sensory issues, which are really affecting our daily life. I can't really afford to send her to regular OT now, so was wondering if there are exercises that I can try with her at home.

The issues are:

1. Shoes and socks - very very picky about what she will wear, almost impossible to get her shoes or socks. They are too tight, too loose, too slimy (sweaty), too many threads on the inside, she can't bend her toe in the shoes, etc etc etc. It is a huge fight to get her out the door to school this year, and we just spent hours in the shoe store without any success....

2. Extremely picky eating - has constipation issues, but will not not try any fruits or vegetables, or anything else out of her food range (rice cakes, chicken nuggests, pizza, etc). It seems like it really really bothers her to taste it, she goes crazy...

If anyone can give me some ideas on what I can try, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Strudel

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:02 am
I always suggest to my clients that they take a look at the Integrated Learning Strategies website and videos on You Tube. Lots of great information. https://ilslearningcorner.com
https://ilslearningcorner.com/.....ness/

LO

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:14 am
Will do. Anyone else work on this? What strategies did you use?

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:37 am
Have you tried brushing and joint compression?

Strudel

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:01 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Have you tried brushing and joint compression?

The second link I gave was about brushing. It can help desensitize a child with sensory processing issues.
OP you really need to get your daughter fully assessed by an OT and perhaps a SLT for her food issues.

gibberish

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:04 am
Read the books The Out of Sync Child and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun. Great techniques that should help

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:15 am
OP, have you tried getting OT through your health insurance?

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 12:12 pm
Definitely check with insurance re OT. Also, see if you can afford the evaluation and get a recommendation for a plan you can administer. You can go back in every 6 weeks or so to check in.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 12:38 pm
sensory issues and especially restrictive eating are usually related to food intolerances. try removing gluten and dairy from her diet and see what happens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics