Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dial oven vs digital oven (wolf vs jenn air)

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:10 pm
I’m bh doing my kitchen over bh bh bh!!! First time ever. I’m stuck choosing an oven. Bh I need 36” wide. So: it seems like it’s down to a Wolf or a jenn air. They’re the same price. Wolf: great oven. NO DIGITAL panel screen buttons nada. Just a dial for the temp. No self clean no delay start no time cook no shabbos mode.
How do u use an oven on shabbos without shabbos mode?????
Jenn air- all the electronic buttons etc. however- they say appliances with digital panels and stuff break easier. Good ok dial lasts forever. No electronic issues.
Cannot decide???

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:58 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I’m bh doing my kitchen over bh bh bh!!! First time ever. I’m stuck choosing an oven. Bh I need 36” wide. So: it seems like it’s down to a Wolf or a jenn air. They’re the same price. Wolf: great oven. NO DIGITAL panel screen buttons nada. Just a dial for the temp. No self clean no delay start no time cook no shabbos mode.
How do u use an oven on shabbos without shabbos mode?????
Jenn air- all the electronic buttons etc. however- they say appliances with digital panels and stuff break easier. Good ok dial lasts forever. No electronic issues.
Cannot decide???

Are you sure about the limitations on the Wolf? I have a Wolf 36" and it has self cleaning and shabbos mode.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:02 pm
The difference is between a Wolf electric or gas oven. A gas oven has a simple dial for temperature control and a convection oven button. Nothing else. But the electric model has self clean and all the other options.

librarygirl

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:08 pm
Never did a kitchen and I don't have such high end appliances. But I would never give up the self clean feature.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:10 pm
If you can live without self-cleaning, the Wolf will be great for Yom Tovim — you can raise the temp when the oven is heating and lower it when it's not. I own Bluestar gas ranges — mechanically similar to the Wolf you're considering. These ranges are low tech — they won't try to talk to your smartphone and there's less stuff to break. Given your 2 choices, for sure I'd go for the Wolf.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
The difference is between a Wolf electric or gas oven. A gas oven has a simple dial for temperature control and a convection oven button. Nothing else. But the electric model has self clean and all the other options.

My Wolf has both. We ran an electric line to have self clean. I cook with gas.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:25 pm
What about dual fuel so you can cook with gas but also self clean, bake with electricity etc?
Please make sure you have a serviceman in your area who can service these higher end pro ranges, not everyone does.
I did not ever try the Jennair; I did try out the wolf in their showroom and I didn't love it. It took very long to heat the oven and boil water.
Hated cooking on and roasting in the Bluestar. The open flames scared me and the outside of the oven got very hot.
Honestly, I loved the Thermador grand gas range top; and the la cornue grand oven was amazing to roast in. But sadly it's not in my price range.

I think you will benefit greatly if you can cook on/in these ranges before you purchase.
There are some showrooms where you can try them out. (You can't eat the food baked inside but you see how fast it preheats, how evenly it bakes etc.)

Whatever you decide, you should enjoy your new range snd make many wonderful meals!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:35 am
Wolf has dual gas/electric that has self clean Don't do no self clean, it's not worth it.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:46 am
My mother hated her Jenn Air. Broke often.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 6:25 am
Op here. Dual range wolf is more expensive.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 7:32 am
studying_torah wrote:
What about dual fuel so you can cook with gas but also self clean, bake with electricity etc?
Please make sure you have a serviceman in your area who can service these higher end pro ranges, not everyone does.
I did not ever try the Jennair; I did try out the wolf in their showroom and I didn't love it. It took very long to heat the oven and boil water.
Hated cooking on and roasting in the Bluestar. The open flames scared me and the outside of the oven got very hot.
Honestly, I loved the Thermador grand gas range top; and the la cornue grand oven was amazing to roast in. But sadly it's not in my price range.

I think you will benefit greatly if you can cook on/in these ranges before you purchase.
There are some showrooms where you can try them out. (You can't eat the food baked inside but you see how fast it preheats, how evenly it bakes etc.)

Whatever you decide, you should enjoy your new range snd make many wonderful meals!

Wolf boils water faster than most. I bought a Wolf induction cooktop because it could boil a pot of water in under a minute. My fleish range is just as fast if not faster. There is no problem with boiling water. It beats my old Viking.

My Wolf cooks my chicken soup so high that it clarifies the soup without straining. I can wok as well as commerical chiefs. The precision of the oven and the uniform heating can't be compared.

Wolf is tops at servicing their units. They come for everything promptly. Do research. We did. It was their service that tipped us.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 7:34 am
cookiewriter wrote:
Op here. Dual range wolf is more expensive.

We had to run lines and break open walls to do it. So worth it to have the Wolf.

I don't clean my oven, but DH insisted on self cleaning in case it had to be kashered.

princessleah

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 11:50 am
For Shabbat mode on a dial oven, you just leave it on the temp you want and shut the light off.

Have you looked stuff up in consumer reports? I wasn't buying high-end but that's how I made my decision. They rate the appliances based on how quickly it boils a pot of water, how evenly cookies come out baked, how well turkey broils, etc.

NB: They overall seemed to prefer gas ranges for better cooking and electric ovens for better baking

studying_torah

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 11:52 am
Actually the gas on wolf took a lot longer to boil water than on the thermador gas.
We didnt get to try induction in the showrooms, but they're supposed to be amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen