Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you get stains out of white shirts?!?!
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:06 pm
Going crazy from my boys white shirts!

Despite my pre-treating with oxiclean, letting them sit for 10 minutes and then soaking them like that in water for a few hours and washing on hot, they still come out of the wash with stains!!

Should I use bleach on the stains? Can someone educate me how to do that? I've never used bleach before.

Also, what do I do about the white shirts that have colored designs on the colors/buttons/cuffs? I can't put bleach on those shirts, so how do I get the stains out?

tachles

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:18 pm
Following

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 11:53 pm
My daughter got a stain on her new uniform shirt a couple of weeks ago. I tried so many different methods and this is the one that worked: Make a paste of baking soda, dishwashing liquid and bleach. Apply to stain. Let sit for 10 mins. Soak shirt in hot water for at least an hour. Then wash.

The shirt was pale yellow, not white, and came out a couple shades lighter but with the stain completely gone!

mother4

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:16 am
I use Nature Bright from Shaklee. expensive, but removes most stains.
A cheaper alternative is baking soda and extra hot steam load.
Also, I have found that although I prefer cotton shirts, they absorb the stains more. So rather to get the poly blends where the stains come off easier on that material. The H&M -
non iron shirts wash nicely.

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:30 am
When I get white things, I try and buy only pure white. When I wash them, I toss them into the machine, pour half a cup of bleach in there, and then either do a prewash or a soak before a proper wash.

Following for getting stains out of mixed-media clothing.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:30 pm
Someone told me to put Fairy Liquid on stains. Works brilliantly.

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
Someone told me to put Fairy Liquid on stains. Works brilliantly.

PSA fairy liquid is Dawn (UK-US translation)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:38 pm
I've had luck with soaking in oxi clean and hot water but not always.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:39 pm
I once tried to put use dish soap on a stain, and the green of the soap stained the clothing even further!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:14 pm
What sort of stains are these OP? Food, oil, sweat, grime?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
I once tried to put use dish soap on a stain, and the green of the soap stained the clothing even further!

Dawn is blue. And doesn't leave a stain. What sort of dish soap did you use?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:

I use dish soap on oil stains all the time with success.

juggling

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:31 pm
For spot-bleaching there is a product called clorox bleach pen. It's concentrated bleach, in a tube with a narrow opening. You can use it on stains on white shirts, and it should not affect the colored decorations on the shirt.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Dawn is blue. And doesn't leave a stain. What sort of dish soap did you use?

I used palmolive

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What sort of stains are these OP? Food, oil, sweat, grime?

grass stains and food stains

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
grass stains and food stains

Food stains need Dawn blue original dish soap.
Make the garment fully wet, lay it in a clean laundry room or bathroom sink, squeeze some Dawn dish soap on the palm of you hand, rub your palms together then use both palms to spread into wet stain. Allow to sit 15 minutes. Come back and scrub with cleaning toothbrush. Wet again and spread with light palm coating of Dawn again. Let sit overnight. Scrub.
Rinse out all suds before placing in the washing machine. Stains should already be out before washing in machine.

For grass stains, the above works for fresh stains. Otherwise buy Corbona stain devils #6 make up, dirt and grass.

amother wrote:
Going crazy from my boys white shirts!

Despite my pre-treating with oxiclean, letting them sit for 10 minutes and then soaking them like that in water for a few hours and washing on hot, they still come out of the wash with stains!!

Should I use bleach on the stains? Can someone educate me how to do that? I've never used bleach before.

Also, what do I do about the white shirts that have colored designs on the colors/buttons/cuffs? I can't put bleach on those shirts, so how do I get the stains out?

How are you using the Oxiclean?
I run the water until it's boiling, then fill a basin. Add a scoop or two of Oxiclean and swirl to dissolve. Let the white shirt sit overnight in the oxiclean. Scrub at the stain and make sure it's out. If not, repeat with fresh boiling water and scoops of Oxiclean.

If you want to use bleach, you have to use a really big clean basin or bathtub. Fill with water and then and bleach. Swirl to dilute and even out the bleach / water. Then add garment and swirl gently so it reaches everywhere evenly. Soak for 15 minutes. Rinse the shirt in cold water. Wring out and wash.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:00 pm
Thanks for all the helpful replies! For people suggesting to pre-treat stains and then scrub them with a brush, how does this not ruin the fabric? Most fabrics would pill if I take a toothbrush to them?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful replies! For people suggesting to pre-treat stains and then scrub them with a brush, how does this not ruin the fabric? Most fabrics would pill if I take a toothbrush to them?

I use a toothbrush. This is for white dressy shirts, right? Works well with tee shirts too. I wouldn't suggest it with a knit. In that case I try to gently rub the fabrics together. I wouldn't start with harsh stain removers on such a fabric either.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 11:51 pm
Where can I find oxyclean in Lakewood?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:01 am
If it’s all white, I wash with bleach. Fill machine with hot water, detergent and bleach. Shirts come out clean! I probably use about a cup of bleach. All stains come out this way aside for pen ink.
If it’s white with a color I treat the stain with Palmolive ultra, let sit for a while then use the Palmolive as detergent in the washing machine. All summer stains came out using Palmolive!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry