Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to ask my boss for meeting to discuss raise?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:50 am
I am working there since December 2016. Never got a raise. Small office, just a few employees. I must email my boss and ask for a meeting to discuss a raise otherwise it will never happen......so what do I write on the email? And how do I ask for more money?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:02 am
Good Morning,
There is something I would like to discuss with you. Please let me know when we can schedule a meeting together.
Thank You

When you meet, you explain to the boss that you have been employed since Dec. 2016 and you feel you have a good grip on everything. Bring specific examples of where you even made improvements for the company. If your position brought in more money to the company, make sure to mention that too. Basically, show your boss that are an asset to the company and now that you are almost working there two years you are requesting a raise . If you are able to take on a new project, no way is a good time to offer to take on a new project.
Just be prepared for any answer. At one of my jobs I asked for a raise and instead of the boss acknowledging how hard I was working and appreciating my dedication he focused on the two things that I never got to start working on .(those were two large projects that I needed lots of time which I didn't have.)
But for the most part, you know if you are an asset to the company. Be confident.

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:13 am
Hi “boss”,

I’d like to set a meeting with you to discuss the following items:

1. Update on XYZ
2. Questions re ABC
3. My annual performance review.

What is your availability today or tomorrow?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:21 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Good Morning,
There is something I would like to discuss with you. Please let me know when we can schedule a meeting together.
Thank You

When you meet, you explain to the boss that you have been employed since Dec. 2016 and you feel you have a good grip on everything. Bring specific examples of where you even made improvements for the company. If your position brought in more money to the company, make sure to mention that too. Basically, show your boss that are an asset to the company and now that you are almost working there two years you are requesting a raise . If you are able to take on a new project, no way is a good time to offer to take on a new project.
Just be prepared for any answer. At one of my jobs I asked for a raise and instead of the boss acknowledging how hard I was working and appreciating my dedication he focused on the two things that I never got to start working on .(those were two large projects that I needed lots of time which I didn't have.)
But for the most part, you know if you are an asset to the company. Be confident.

Thank you, this is so clear and helpful!!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
Hi “boss”,

I’d like to set a meeting with you to discuss the following items:

1. Update on XYZ
2. Questions re ABC
3. My annual performance review.

What is your availability today or tomorrow?

What would I be writing for questions 1 and 2? I usually just go in to ask him questions.....

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
What would I be writing for questions 1 and 2? I usually just go in to ask him questions.....

In that case, just go and ask to talk to him. Why do you need an email to schedule

(As a boss I wouldn’t appreciate a vague ‘I have something to talk to you about email’ from an employee)

champagne

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 9:04 am
If you don’t schedule meetings with your boss via email and are pretty casual with said boss, then you can just pop in and say “can I speak to you privately for a second?”

That’s how I do it at my office, since we tend to be very casual with our higher-ups. But emails are ok if you need to lock yourself in.

Be confident, be firm and clear. You’ll be the most confident if you know that you can make the same/ more money somewhere else with your work ethic, experience and personality, and even better if you can think of a potential workplace that would hire you. I know how terrifying it can be, but if you focus on the fact that you’re needed here, and if you want to you can leave and get a different job, you’ll find the confidence to do this. (No need to say any of this and hopefully your boss will be agreeable, but it’s good to have that in the back of your mind to keep any legs from buckling Smile

If you’re nervous, I strongly suggest that you write everything that you want to say out, as if you’re writing a convincing essay, and read it a few times. Everything will come out way more fluidly and clearly, you’ll make all the points you want to make, and reading it will give you the confidence boost you need to go through with it.

Best of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics