Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is bare minimum needed for chasan Kalla apt rental
1  2  Next

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:14 pm
I’m making a furnished temporary rental in my basement. I want to put the barest minimum of a kitchenette in there. I plan to rent to chasan kallas that need furnished place by the week. I can also use it for family for yontiv or for chesed iyh. What is the barest minimum of stuff I need to put in kitchen-
Tiny fridge freezer. One sink.
Now- what else- a burner? A microwave? Can u use a microwave for milk AND meat?
A microwave convection oven combo?
Washer dryer?
An urn. A pan for meat and pan for milk? Helllpp
Silverware? Knives?

happy12

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:28 pm
Must have an oven.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:34 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I’m making a furnished temporary rental in my basement. I want to put the barest minimum of a kitchenette in there. I plan to rent to chasan kallas that need furnished place by the week. I can also use it for family for yontiv or for chesed iyh. What is the barest minimum of stuff I need to put in kitchen-
Tiny fridge freezer. One sink.
Now- what else- a burner? A microwave? Can u use a microwave for milk AND meat?
A microwave convection oven combo?
Washer dryer?
An urn. A pan for meat and pan for milk? Helllpp
Silverware? Knives?

When I got married , I lived in a furnished apartment paid on a week by week basis.
It had a kitchen , bedroom and bathroom and two closets. The kitchen was small with a table and four chairs, two sinks, a gas range and a fridge . (I brought a microwave with me) The bathroom had a stackable washer dryer and the bedroom had two 39" beds and a 4 drawer chest.
We had to buy a small night table since there wasn't one. We ended up living there for a few months.
Pots, pans, cutlery etc were all my own.
It sounds like you want to provide a fully stocked apartment. Does that include linens and towels too?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:44 pm
Definitely need washer / dryer and some proper way to cook.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:04 am
You can find a one piece counter/cabinet piece that already has a sink in it on clearance. Set it near a small gas range and refrigerator/freezer and have the sink and appliances hooked up.
If you don't have a proper, albeit mini kitchen, will people want to rent it?

tachles

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:16 am
They make smaller sized oven with a range over. That plus a sink a small fridge and freezer combo, not a mini fridge , sounds decent enough.
If your doing fully furnished a simple set of silverware for 4 of dairy and meat, plates and bowls, few cooking utensils, couple of pots and frying pan, hot plate and mini urn.
Sheets, towels, blankets
Closet with shelves or dresser or at least a clothing rack with hangers
Washer and dryer

sirel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:10 am
I don't think you should provide kitchen utensils for rentals. Many won't want to rely on previous renters kashrus and will ask you to empty out the cabinets.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 9:27 am
There's no "must". The new trend is not to have a micro! which I wouldn't go with lol.
There are people without oven though it's annoying. You need A way to cook. YOu probably "need" a washing for the clothes nowadays though in my parents times many did launderette.
We were without a washing for the dishes for years (but again we used a lot of disposable).

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:15 am
What you really need:
Carbon monoxide detector, smoke alarm, egress window from bedroom.

Back to the kitchen: Sink, stove, fridge, counter space.

An easy to kasher stove like this: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-......html

or if you're really pressed for space there are narrow stoves (not self-clean) like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Su.....2-_-N

Dishpans/racks, cutlery, dishes, a few pots and pans — all of them color coded in blue and red to minimize mistakes.

And a washer/dryer would be a huge plus.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:12 pm
When I was newly married I stayed in a chosson-kalla apartment for 4 weeks. The kitchen included a small fridge-freezer (not mini, that would've been very impractical) one sink, and a burner. It was a brand new apartment so the oven wasn't installed yet. They gave me the apartment for cheaper because of that inconvenience. I think that most apartments do come with an oven. There was also a very small kitchen table with 2 chairs and a couch. The bedroom had 2 48" beds and an armoir + a small closet for hanging space. The bathroom had a toilet and shower - no bathtub (which was troublesome for me because my first mikva night was Friday and I was stuck without a bath to prepare in! I ended up going to a relative on Friday afternoon to use her bathtub which was not very comfortable at all...)

sky

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:20 pm
Fridge - basic apartment size. Not mini.
Oven with full stove top. Not single burner.
Sink.
Washer\dryer.
Some counter and cabinet space.

When we lived in one I cooked Shabbos and supper. Having one burner or a mini fridge would have been difficult.

Microwave is optional

We were not supplied a urn or pots or pans. We used our own.
But you may want to have an urn for your guests.

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:39 pm
This may be a dumb question, but what is a chassan kallah apartment? Is it for newlyweds visiting family who don't actually want to stay with their family? Is it for newlyweds who haven't found a place to live yet?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:49 pm
OH yes legally you may have to install carbon detector and/or fire and stuff.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:54 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
What you really need:
Carbon monoxide detector, smoke alarm, egress window from bedroom.

Back to the kitchen: Sink, stove, fridge, counter space.

An easy to kasher stove like this: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-......html

or if you're really pressed for space there are narrow stoves (not self-clean) like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Su.....2-_-N

Dishpans/racks, cutlery, dishes, a few pots and pans — all of them color coded in blue and red to minimize mistakes.

And a washer/dryer would be a huge plus.

I'm not even sure what a chatan - kallah apartment is, but I second, third and fourth the self cleaning oven. People may not trust the kashrut of previous tenants, and will want to kasher the oven.

In fact, I'd go with a more complete kitchen (small but full sized refrigerator/freezer, full sized oven, full sink), and skip the washer/dryer unless you live in the Land of No Laundromats.

If you're seriously renting by the week, then pots, pans, etc. would be needed. If you anticipate that people would rent for a few months, then skip it.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not even sure what a chatan - kallah apartment is, but I second, third and fourth the self cleaning oven. People may not trust the kashrut of previous tenants, and will want to kasher the oven.

In fact, I'd go with a more complete kitchen (small but full sized refrigerator/freezer, full sized oven, full sink), and skip the washer/dryer unless you live in the Land of No Laundromats.

If you're seriously renting by the week, then pots, pans, etc. would be needed. If you anticipate that people would rent for a few months, then skip it.

In theory, I agree with you about the self-cleaning oven. In practice, I don’t. We’ve had more than a few oven repair men on erev pesach tell us to self clean as little as possible because it burns out the oven and the oven’s motherboard very quickly. At most, they recommend some cleaning only once a year. In fact, my house that we just bought came with a non-self cleaning oven and when we went to upgrade at Best Buy, the guy told us only to self clean if we absolutely had to and even once a year was too much. Also, the gas bill cost is pretty significant and someone running a chessed apartment really should not have to foot this bill, in addition to a constant bill from repairman. If people dont trust the kashrus they can double wrap in foil.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:04 pm
absolutely bathtub.absolutely self clean oven. no need for dishes, cutlery, urn.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:06 pm
watergirl wrote:
In theory, I agree with you about the self-cleaning oven. In practice, I don’t. We’ve had more than a few oven repair men on erev pesach tell us to self clean as little as possible because it burns out the oven and the oven’s motherboard very quickly. At most, they recommend some cleaning only once a year. In fact, my house that we just bought came with a non-self cleaning oven and when we went to upgrade at Best Buy, the guy told us only to self clean if we absolutely had to and even once a year was too much. Also, the gas bill cost is pretty significant and someone running a chessed apartment really should not have to foot this bill, in addition to a constant bill from repairman. If people dont trust the kashrus they can double wrap in foil.

I wasn't aware that it was a chesed. I assumed it was a money-making operation.

You are correct about the fact that self cleaning can fry the motherboard. Never, ever self clean immediately before a chag, unless you want to risk not having an oven. But if this is a for-profit endeavor, I still say that it makes it more attractive. Its a feature we always look for at Air BnB, for example.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:06 pm
also, absolutely washer dryer. There are enough rentals out there you need to make it desirable.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:08 pm
A chosson-kallah apartment is a short-term rental, often for newlyweds who may be moving to a regular apartment or another city (or Israel) in a month or 2.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:10 pm
perquacky wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but what is a chassan kallah apartment? Is it for newlyweds visiting family who don't actually want to stay with their family? Is it for newlyweds who haven't found a place to live yet?

For a couple who get married in one place (eg brooklyn) but are planning to go and live somewhere else (eg EY). I stayed in one after I got married because we were planning to live in NY but got married in London. Mine had a tiny kitchen area but we never really cooked there since were basically there for sheva brochos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen