Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Krug / Safer / Anyone else

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:17 am
Who would you go with for orthodontics and why?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:31 am
My teens both went to Dr. Krug. He did a great job with their braces - even their dentist complimented the job.

I did find that by the time we got to my second teen, the practice had gotten much bigger. It was harder to get appointments sometimes, and often the waiting room lives up to its name.....But it is a very warm, kid-friendly practice. My little one loves going along and getting icecream, and Dr. Krug encouraged me to bring her so that she feels comfortable and positive about going there. Her turn is coming up and she definitely needs braces.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:42 am
I use Dr Krug and am very happy with the practice. He is a soft spoken and gentle person and while my kids have favorites and those they don't want, the nursing staff are very nice. I think their preferences are more due to personality than to actual technique. They take the time to explain what is happening and to reassure kids which I find vey helpful for my kids handling the experience. Office staff are professional and pleasant.

When I was a child, I dreaded going to the orthodontist it was so awful and I am so thankful that my children do not feel that way at all.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:45 am
Kormehl

My dentist uses for own kids and recommends him. He is supposedly more money but they also say his work is faster. The office is very friendly.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My teens both went to Dr. Krug. He did a great job with their braces - even their dentist complimented the job.

I did find that by the time we got to my second teen, the practice had gotten much bigger. It was harder to get appointments sometimes, and often the waiting room lives up to its name.....But it is a very warm, kid-friendly practice. My little one loves going along and getting icecream, and Dr. Krug encouraged me to bring her so that she feels comfortable and positive about going there. Her turn is coming up and she definitely needs braces.

Thanks for responding! When you brought your daughters there, did Dr. Krug do the work himself or did the nurses do the work (I think now the nurses do the bulk of the work)?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for responding! When you brought your daughters there, did Dr. Krug do the work himself or did the nurses do the work (I think now the nurses do the bulk of the work)?

Depends what's being done. The nurses do the changing of the rubber bands, but when wires had to be cut/shaped Dr. Krug does it. He also checks them every visit, and gives instructions, etc...

esther36

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:55 pm
I'm using Dr Krug now with my daughter and I'm extremely impressed with him. He's so patient and is never in a rush no matter how many people r waiting in the waiting room. And even with a very busy practice and full waiting room I've never had to wait more than five to ten minutes. The place runs very prompt it's amazing. The nurse does do a lot of the changing rubber bands and such but the Dr does all the wires, brackets and adjustments. I highly recommend him!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:42 pm
esther36 wrote:
I'm using Dr Krug now with my daughter and I'm extremely impressed with him. He's so patient and is never in a rush no matter how many people r waiting in the waiting room. And even with a very busy practice and full waiting room I've never had to wait more than five to ten minutes. The place runs very prompt it's amazing. The nurse does do a lot of the changing rubber bands and such but the Dr does all the wires, brackets and adjustments. I highly recommend him!

So does Dr. Krug put the braces on and then change the wire every visit? What exactly do the nurses do? Someone told me her kid complained that the nurses were not so gentle. What are they doing that would require gentleness? Are they putting wires in?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
So does Dr. Krug put the braces on and then change the wire every visit? What exactly do the nurses do? Someone told me her kid complained that the nurses were not so gentle. What are they doing that would require gentleness? Are they putting wires in?

Dr Krug puts on the braces (brackets) and shapes the wire. The wires get attached to the brackets with rubber bands, and these get changed at every visit by the nurses - I.e. the nurses attach the wire to the brackets with the rubber bands. Dr. Krug also does a quick exam at every visit - sometimes the wire also needs to be changed - they start off with a thinner wire and as they adjust they get a thicker wire.....sometimes they need different devices, like a spring....so he determines the course of the treatment as needed.

I can't speak for anyone else, but all of the nurses my girls ever had at Dr Krug were DOLLS. We found them to be very gentle, though of course it's not an easy job. Wires can poke and have to be trimmed, they have to maneuver stuff in small spaces (mouths with teeth in them, etc...) so it is not always possible for everything to be super comfortable.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:57 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Dr Krug puts on the braces (brackets) and shapes the wire. The wires get attached to the brackets with rubber bands, and these get changed at every visit by the nurses - I.e. the nurses attach the wire to the brackets with the rubber bands. Dr. Krug also does a quick exam at every visit - sometimes the wire also needs to be changed - they start off with a thinner wire and as they adjust they get a thicker wire.....sometimes they need different devices, like a spring....so he determines the course of the treatment as needed.

I can't speak for anyone else, but all of the nurses my girls ever had at Dr Krug were DOLLS. We found them to be very gentle, though of course it's not an easy job. Wires can poke and have to be trimmed, they have to maneuver stuff in small spaces (mouths with teeth in them, etc...) so it is not always possible for everything to be super comfortable.

Thanks for your help! I guess I don't understand how braces work, but maybe you can help me out. Do you mean that they just change the rubber bands but don't adjust the wire every time? How does changing the rubber bands on the same wire make the teeth move from visit to visit?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your help! I guess I don't understand how braces work, but maybe you can help me out. Do you mean that they just change the rubber bands but don't adjust the wire every time? How does changing the rubber bands on the same wire make the teeth move from visit to visit?

There's alot that goes into moving the teeth. And that's where your Orthodontist's education comes in! I don't pretend to know all of it. But I can tell you that there are different steps involved, based on what your child's orthodontic needs are.

For example, one of my DD's had a palette expander, before she even got her braces. It's a device put on the roof of the mouth and every night you turn it and it literally expands the palette, bit by bit, and the teeth move into the space that is opened for them. DD had overlapping teeth, and it worked out that she got her palette expander just before 8th grade graduation pictures. The palette expander caused her front teeth to straighten into a line instead of overlapping, and since her braces weren't on yet, her pictures were taken just at the right time - straight front teeth, no braces = great picture.

Then the brackets help get the teeth to stay in place and not move back. And the wires hold them there. And the wires get changed as needed, but not every time. It's a slow progression, so that the teeth are gently moved to where they need to be.

Feel free to google some of this, I'm sure there are online explanations of how braces work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics