Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Did everyone else know there are Yiddish forums?
1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 11:58 am
http://www.ivelt.com/forum/vie.....t=225

I sure didn't! This is so cool!

Not that I speak Yiddish, but I always wanted to. I grew up in an apartment building full of elderly people who escaped the USSR when the Iron Curtain fell. They spoke Russian, and sometimes Yiddish, and I learned to understand them a bit. It was like having 40 odd grandma's and grandpa's, since there weren't any other Jewish children in the building.

Seeing Yiddish online gave me such a rush of nostalgia!

What are your memories/impressions of Yiddish?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 1:19 pm
Of course I knew! My thesis was on (basically) Yiddish in America etc.

To me it's the language of the heart and the home, even though I'm not fluent.

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:42 pm
You do know Yiddish is alive and well and flourishing like never before

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:06 pm
Zehava wrote:

Only amongst chassidim. My kids can barely speak a word. And their school teiches in Yiddish.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:10 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Only amongst chassidim. My kids can barely speak a word. And their school teiches in Yiddish.

There's actually a whole secular Yiddish movement.. there are Yiddish Broadway shows, newspapers etc.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:10 pm
Zehava wrote:

I wouldn’t exactly say like never before, but it’s not a dying language.

I love Yiddish. I often find myself wanting the use its expressions and descriptive words when I’m at a loss for the right words in English.

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:28 pm
Maya wrote:
I wouldn’t exactly say like never before, but it’s not a dying language.

I love Yiddish. I often find myself wanting the use its expressions and descriptive words when I’m at a loss for the right words in English.

Yeah was just waiting for someone to nitpick on that

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:34 pm
Maya wrote:

Boy did my mother blow a fuse when I came home using the word "Shv---" that she said means male s-x organ, also known to be used to call people idiots.

Last edited by Mevater on Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:36 pm
Zehava wrote:
Yeah was just waiting for someone to nitpick on that

I guess in this era of politics I shouldn’t be surprised that pointing out a historical inaccuracy is called nitpicking.

Last edited by Maya on Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:37 pm
InnerMe wrote:
There's actually a whole secular Yiddish movement.. there are Yiddish Broadway shows, newspapers etc.

My father teaches Yiddish to non frum and non Jewish people. He has quite a clientele.

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 4:57 pm
Maya wrote:
I guess in this era of politics I shouldn’t be surprised that pointing out a historical inaccuracy is called nitpicking.

Can no one take a joke anymore in this era of politics?

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:10 pm
There’s a forum for everything and I do mean everything.

shpitsel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:26 pm
Rappel wrote:
http://www.ivelt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21321&start=225

I sure didn't! This is so cool!

Not that I speak Yiddish, but I always wanted to. I grew up in an apartment building full of elderly people who escaped the USSR when the Iron Curtain fell. They spoke Russian, and sometimes Yiddish, and I learned to understand them a bit. It was like having 40 odd grandma's and grandpa's, since there weren't any other Jewish children in the building.

Seeing Yiddish online gave me such a rush of nostalgia!

What are your memories/impressions of Yiddish?

Yes my husband is very active on it

But its very clean and alot of stuff gets erased , there is no politics or lashon hara

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:38 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My father teaches Yiddish to non frum and non Jewish people. He has quite a clientele.

Im curious. Why are they interested? Is it something to do, like learning Chinese or Swahili?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:45 pm
Mevater wrote:
Im curious. Why are they interested? Is it something to do, like learning Chinese or Swahili?

Various reasons. Some work in industries with Yiddish speaking clients. Some do it as an intellectual thing and some as a cultural thing.
My father majored in language in college. When he teaches the Yiddish language , it's not just how to translate, read and write. He teaches the origins and history of Yiddish as well as the different dialects. And the Yiddish he teaches is the REAL Yiddish that is not " Englishized". Many Yiddish speaking people in the heimish world would not even understand the real Yiddish language. They use so many English or Hungarian words they don't realize it's not even Yiddish and don't even know the Yiddish word for it.

shpitsel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:45 pm
http://freemorgen.com/forum/vi.....bc0c0

There is one yiddish website more to the left side and more discussions can ve discussed,but I see it is not anymore in use

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:50 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Various reasons. Some work in industries with Yiddish speaking clients. Some do it as an intellectual thing and some as a cultural thing.
My father majored in language in college. When he teaches the Yiddish language , it's not just how to translate, read and write. He teaches the origins and history of Yiddish as well as the different dialects. And the Yiddish he teaches is the REAL Yiddish that is not " Englishized". Many Yiddish speaking people in the heimish world would not even understand the real Yiddish language. They use so many English or Hungarian words they don't realize it's not even Yiddish and don't even know the Yiddish word for it.

Real Yiddish my foot. It’s just old Yiddish. Every language picks words up from other languages and evolves to stay relevant with the times.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 5:55 pm
Ivelt and kaveshtiebel are two yiddish forums popular among yiddish speaking males.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:15 pm
Zehava wrote:
Real Yiddish my foot. It’s just old Yiddish. Every language picks words up from other languages and evolves to stay relevant with the times.

There is a difference between Yiddish and words that are really English that are said with a Yiddish accent and are assumed to be Yiddish and it's not. For example . I offered my Yiddish speaking neighbor "kartofel" and he asked me "Vus is kartofel?" So I showed him, and he said " Uh! Dus is nisht kartofel, dus is putatis"
"Putatis" is not the Yiddish word for potatoes .

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:27 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
There is a difference between Yiddish and words that are really English that are said with a Yiddish accent and are assumed to be Yiddish and it's not. For example . I offered my Yiddish speaking neighbor "kartofel" and he asked me "Vus is kartofel?" So I showed him, and he said " Uh! Dus is nisht kartofel, dus is putatis"
"Putatis" is not the Yiddish word for potatoes .

So according to you there are no words in “real Yiddish” that originated in Russian, polish, chzeck, or Hungarian?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics