Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Did everyone else know there are Yiddish forums?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:39 pm
pause wrote:
Ivelt and kaveshtiebel are two yiddish forums popular among yiddish speaking males.

What do they talk about? Is it like a male version of this site?

cm

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:21 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
There is a difference between Yiddish and words that are really English that are said with a Yiddish accent and are assumed to be Yiddish and it's not. For example . I offered my Yiddish speaking neighbor "kartofel" and he asked me "Vus is kartofel?" So I showed him, and he said " Uh! Dus is nisht kartofel, dus is putatis"
"Putatis" is not the Yiddish word for potatoes .

"Kartoffel" is German Yiddish. "Bulbe" is Lithuanian Yiddish. Perhaps "putatis" will become English Yiddish, or maybe English Yiddish will become its own creole or recognized dialect someday.

Here's more about Yiddish potatoes:
https://forward.com/culture/13.....tato/

shpitsel

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:28 pm
doctorima wrote:

You can check it out for yourself

Its similar to this site but nothing adultery or about private people , its a mix of this and dans deals forums

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:54 pm
Yiddish is a living adaptable language. That's the way it started out and that's how it is still evolving to this day.

My cousins from belgium were saying how in Belgium they speak "bloiz a reinem yiddish" (exact translation "only a clean yiddish) but here in America we use so many English words it's almost like it's a new language.
Then that same day she told me to tell her sister to meet her at the "hook" (iirc. Might me some similar word. It's been a while...) I couldn't for the life of mine figure out what she wanted. She went on to explain whither hands and feet then finally..... the hook is the "edge" where the to street sides meet! She meant the corner! "Meet her at the cirner"
Its the yiddishized version for a flemish wird. We Had a good laugh. So much for "bloiz" yiddish....

One of those yiddish websites where nasty.
So someone else opened a new clean forum that has lots about polotics. Before elections my husband is super active there.... lol. Real mens stuff.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 8:16 pm

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 9:50 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Yiddish is a living adaptable language. That's the way it started out and that's how it is still evolving to this day.

My cousins from belgium were saying how in Belgium they speak "bloiz a reinem yiddish" (exact translation "only a clean yiddish) but here in America we use so many English words it's almost like it's a new language.
Then that same day she told me to tell her sister to meet her at the "hook" (iirc. Might me some similar word. It's been a while...) I couldn't for the life of mine figure out what she wanted. She went on to explain whither hands and feet then finally..... the hook is the "edge" where the to street sides meet! She meant the corner! "Meet her at the cirner"
Its the yiddishized version for a flemish wird. We Had a good laugh. So much for "bloiz" yiddish....

One of those yiddish websites where nasty.
So someone else opened a new clean forum that has lots about polotics. Before elections my husband is super active there.... lol. Real mens stuff.

Ofcourse. They use so many Flemish words in Belgium. The raina Yiddish is a myth spread by American teachers to yell at their students for using English words.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:45 pm
Zehava wrote:
Ofcourse. They use so many Flemish words in Belgium. The raina Yiddish is a myth spread by American teachers to yell at their students for using English words.

Ha! Never heard that one but it makes sense!
They were so proud of it though....

Zehava

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:55 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Ha! Never heard that one but it makes sense!
They were so proud of it though....

Lol no one I know in Belgium claims to speak a pure Yiddish

pause

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:55 pm
doctorima wrote:

Men talk about different things Wink
I don't think either site has a rule that it's only for men. They're definitely viewable to the public.

Metukah

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 3:56 am
Tzutzie wrote:

The Belgian Yiddish does sound much richer, but, at the end of the day, Yiddish is a language that was made out of a concoction of other languages. So not all words exist in Yiddish.

My Belgian sil talks a 'zaftig' Yiddish and then there are splatters of words that I am 'huh?'. Interestingly enough, flemish is also not an actual language, its a dialect (one of the many) of Dutch. So technically they aren't speaking any language. Some examples come to mind. They use 'bavet' (sp?) for bib or apron, shtroisel (sp?) for sprinkles. I don't think these words are officially in the Dutch language, but I may be wrong. They are definitely not Yiddish.

I am no expert in Yiddish, but over the years I have heard many words, only used by people originating/living in one place, that are most definitely not Yiddish. Tshuchepacher anyone?

Metukah

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 3:59 am
Zehava wrote:
Lol no one I know in Belgium claims to speak a pure Yiddish

I know many many Belgians, I actually live close to Belgium (in comparison to USA or Israel) and I don't know any Belgian who doesn't claim to speak a pure Yiddish. Their Yiddish is their pride and joy.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:53 am
Well, every country will say their yiddish is the purest lol. But here they put French it in, in America English (granted a LOT). In Belgium the thing is, the local language of Flemish is also German (closer than English) which helps.
I love bloiz yiddish. I get thrown off with newer words lol.

As for the interest, people find it's history and the mixes fascinating. Like a mix of hebrew and german and russian and stuff. My theses directorS were non Jewish. Not all people who bought my thesis when I published it (shameless plug! lol) were Jewish.

FTR it is not only chassidim and definitely shtark Litvaks, even those of North African origins, can have a better yiddish than me.

spoiled

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:32 pm
Metukah wrote:
I know many many Belgians, I actually live close to Belgium (in comparison to USA or Israel) and I don't know any Belgian who doesn't claim to speak a pure Yiddish. Their Yiddish is their pride and joy.

Yes, you're right, we're very proud with our Yiddish. It's not bloiz Yiddish, but the purest these days.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:57 pm
I am no expert in Yiddish, but over the years I have heard many words, only used by people originating/living in one place, that are most definitely not Yiddish. Tshuchepacher anyone?[/quote]
Lol. That was one of my third grade Yiddish vocabulary words of the week. It means "turtle" 😀

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:00 pm
spoiled wrote:
Yes, you're right, we're very proud with our Yiddish. It's not bloiz Yiddish, but the purest these days.

Hahahaha

spoiled

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:02 pm
Zehava wrote:
Hahahaha

What's the joke?

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:04 pm
A while back there was a voicenote going around of a Belgian making fun of the “pure Belgian Yiddish” and using all the Flemish words they regularly use. Me and dh were rolling with laughter it was so funny and true.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:07 pm
spoiled wrote:
What's the joke?

Let’s just say my understanding of Flemish is pretty good just by being around “Yiddish speaking” Belgians.

spoiled

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:09 pm
Zehava wrote:
A while back there was a voicenote going around of a Belgian making fun of the “pure Belgian Yiddish” and using all the Flemish words they regularly use. Me and dh were rolling with laughter it was so funny and true.

Yeah, was r' zelig dresner, a well known badchn.
We do use some Flemish words, but let's say 10%, while Americans use 30% English.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:16 pm
spoiled wrote:
Yeah, was r' zelig dresner, a well known badchn.
We do use some Flemish words, but let's say 10%, while Americans use 30% English.

I would put it at at least 20/25% for Belgians and 40% for Americans
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics