Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What to snack on?

westchestermom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:08 pm
We have no junk food in the house since my husband's diabetes got out of control. Hubby just warms up a bowl of leftover stew, chicken and vegetables etc when he's hungry. I want a snack! Any ideas? I have a fully stocked pantry full of real foods. I've been alternating toast with cream cheese/everything bagel spice mix, leftover pickled vegetables, fruit and string cheese. Yesterday I had a banana with peanut butter but my husband was jealous because he can't have bananas. I don't like hummus although he loves it.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:11 pm
Pickles, frozen cherries, hard boiled eggs

teachkids

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:14 pm
yogurt (you can even keep them in a freezer to make them more interesting)
popcorn- if you have an air popper it's easy and healthy
pickles
a healthier cracker/ pretzel if that's safe.
nuts
peanut butter on celery

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 6:18 pm
Spiced roasted chickpeas

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:49 pm
Cauliflower popcorn
Roasted salted nuts
Guacamole with baby carrots and other cut veggies

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:01 pm
westchestermom wrote:
We have no junk food in the house since my husband's diabetes got out of control. Hubby just warms up a bowl of leftover stew, chicken and vegetables etc when he's hungry. I want a snack! Any ideas? I have a fully stocked pantry full of real foods. I've been alternating toast with cream cheese/everything bagel spice mix, leftover pickled vegetables, fruit and string cheese. Yesterday I had a banana with peanut butter but my husband was jealous because he can't have bananas. I don't like hummus although he loves it.

He’s going to have to learn to control himself even when he’s around foods he can’t have...it’s not fair to you not to ever be able to eat what you like. You don’t have to eat it in front of him but you should be able to keep things in the house for yourself. Otherwise how does he control himself at work if a coworker has something he can’t eat? Or he’s a at a wedding? Or eating at someone elses’s house?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:08 am
Cheiny wrote:
He’s going to have to learn to control himself even when he’s around foods he can’t have...it’s not fair to you not to ever be able to eat what you like. You don’t have to eat it in front of him but you should be able to keep things in the house for yourself. Otherwise how does he control himself at work if a coworker has something he can’t eat? Or he’s a at a wedding? Or eating at someone elses’s house?

He's going through a detox stage if you will. This is not the first post on the subject. She fears for his life and is doing the right thing.
One day he will get to the point of control and good health be"h until 120!

lucky14

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:25 am
dehydrated apple chips! Buy them (Bare ones are the best. no added fat or sugar and they're the only ones I've found from the U.S.) or make them yourself in your oven. Dried edamame. Frozen edamame (cooked of course), rice cakes with melted cheese on top.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:38 am
Peas Smile

Dates stuffed with almonds/walnuts

Rice cakes

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:39 am
Whipped cream Tongue Out

momof2+?

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 3:30 pm
I love frozen fruit. Try grapes, strawberries, pineapple from the can (tidbits or slightly thawed crushed in its own juice)
I like dried fruit without added sugar. I heard of making you own fruit leather with natural applesauce in the oven.
Not exactly sure what types of food you are trying to keep off of though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics