Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is bare minimum needed for chasan Kalla apt rental
Previous  1  2

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 2:45 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
I’m making a furnished temporary rental in my basement. I want to put the barest minimum of a kitchenette in there. I plan to rent to chasan kallas that need furnished place by the week. I can also use it for family for yontiv or for chesed iyh. What is the barest minimum of stuff I need to put in kitchen-
Tiny fridge freezer. One sink.
Now- what else- a burner? A microwave? Can u use a microwave for milk AND meat?
A microwave convection oven combo?

Washer dryer?
An urn. A pan for meat and pan for milk? Helllpp
Silverware? Knives?

Technically a microwave can be kashered pretty easily and used for both, but I think it's a terrible idea with occupants coming and going and nobody ever knowing the status of it.
And unlike a regular microwave, I was told that the combined microwave/ convection ovens can not be kashered, just FYI... so considering how expensive they are I don't think I would do that either if an "ooops" can't be fixed.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:20 pm
You do not need a washer or dryer. I live in a non-furnished apartment for almost 13 years (at one point with 4 kids) and not only didn't it have a washer/dryer, we weren't allowed to install one. It's inconvenient, but there is always laundromats.

I think if it's only a week by week a sink and fridge/freezer (mini is fine) and maybe a microwave is really the only things you need in your kitchenette.

After that beds, dresser, and table with a few chairs.

That I think is all you need to provide.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 3:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I wasn't aware that it was a chesed. I assumed it was a money-making operation.

You are correct about the fact that self cleaning can fry the motherboard. Never, ever self clean immediately before a chag, unless you want to risk not having an oven. But if this is a for-profit endeavor, I still say that it makes it more attractive. Its a feature we always look for at Air BnB, for example.

These are all good points. OP just needs to do her research and even if people are paying, keep in mind the cost of repairs and replacements because ovens aren't meant to self clean every other week. In general also - we all know that tenants break things, even short term ones.

OP, will you be asking people to put down a security deposit for these types of things?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:22 am
It's extremely easy to cover a microwave if you're unsure of the status.
Not affording a washer is one thing. Not be allowed? I wouldn't put up with that, but that may be cultural as I was never asked what I do.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 9:21 am
Hi everyone OP here. Thx for all ur help!

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 9:21 am
How does one use a microwave for meat and milk?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:04 pm
cookiewriter wrote:

Buy a sticker label and mark it's status once. Everyone will know it's meaty or dairy, whatever you decide to designate it when it's new.
Label the oven, sink and counter too.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 15 2018, 3:23 pm
cookiewriter wrote:

Cover. We def use treif microwaves so...

You can also use a sink for both if you don't use hot water, or use a bassin. You certain can use a counter for everything if you don't put hot food directly on it... I personally consider everything treif and I kosher it or use cold, when I'm in a rental.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen