Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Where are the polls upto?
Previous  1  2

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 11:27 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Aseret Yemei Teshuva. Chilul Hashem is an aveira and so is lashon hara.

I am speaking about people in the political arena who have chosen to make their actions public and whose positions are common knowledge. That is not what lashon hara refers to.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 12:59 am

Just got this in an email. I’m embarrassingly disinvolved in politics but I did see Felder’s name here so I thought it would be of interest to add.

anon for this

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 8:09 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
And in any case, according to Ballotpedia, Felder is running unopposed in the Republican primary. So even if he loses the Democratic primary, he'll be on the ballot in November. If he wins today -- and I hope he doesn't -- it's a slam dunk for him in November, but even if he doesn't, he still has a good chance of retaining his seat.

Could you explain this please? I don't live in NY so I don't know how it works. Are you saying that if Felder would've lost his primary he would've been able to run as a Republican in November? Can any candidate do this? (Felder was in the IDC, right? Is that why he could do it?)

Sebastian

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 8:41 am
anon for this, he was on the ballot as a repub, dem, conservative and independent, I believe. He was only running opposed as a democrat. Many candidates do this.

Reality

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 8:53 am
The Democratic party is very strong in NYC. Many times the other parties don't have any candidate to run against the Democratic encumbant or nominee. The other parties just list the same person because they have nobody else!

It is very unusual that felder got primaried. It used to be that an encumbant democrat got the job til he retired or was term limited out of office. Now the left wing part of the Democratic party has started putting up more liberal candidates to run against more conservative encumbants. And they have been winning some of those elections.

Hope that helps explain NYC politics!

anon for this

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 9:08 am
Thanks for the explanation Sebastien and Reality, but I'm still confused. I understand that the Democratic party is powerful in NYC, and that candidates can run unopposed in general elections. But even if other parties don't field their own candidates, why would they want candidates from opposition parties running under their name? Can't they stop candidates from doing that?

I would guess that in Felder's case the Republican party wouldn't have wanted to stop him because he's influential and part of the IDC anyway but I mean in general.

Sebastian

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 9:43 am
generally the dem and reform run the same candidate and the conservative, independent and repub parties run a diff candidate. Felder is a quasi republican so I guess he's different.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 5:12 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Just got this in an email. I’m embarrassingly disinvolved in politics but I did see Felder’s name here so I thought it would be of interest to add.

Like I said, he’s a tzaddik and we are lucky he won.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics