Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Did everyone else know there are Yiddish forums?
Previous  1  2  3

nchr

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:25 pm
Raina yiddish does not exist anyways because Yiddish itself is eclectic and contains words from Hungarian, Russian, Polish, etc. (I.e. tzumi, fashirt, yunchee, etc.)

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:33 pm
nchr wrote:
Raina yiddish does not exist anyways because Yiddish itself is eclectic and contains words from Hungarian, Russian, Polish, etc. (I.e. tzumi, fashirt, yunchee, etc.)

Yes my point exactly
But more than that there isn’t a language in the world that doesn’t contain words from another language.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 1:58 pm
delete

Last edited by thunderstorm on Fri, Sep 14 2018, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 2:10 pm
Zehava wrote:
Yes my point exactly
But more than that there isn’t a language in the world that doesn’t contain words from another language.

Of course Yiddish is a combination of words from different languages. Just like all other languages. However there is a difference to Yiddish words that have been created from the origins from other languages versus inserting words from a different language into a Yiddish sentence.
For example: the word "slippers". The word in Yiddish for slippers is "shtekshich" but you will hear people calling them "puhpuch". The word puhpuch is Hungarian. It's not a Yiddish word that has a Hungarian origin. It's just a Hungarian word used by some Yiddish speaking people . It doesn't make the word part of the Yiddish language. Just like when a Hispanic person throws in a Spanish word into his English sentence.
My DH is from another country. When he came to yeshiva in America and spoke Yiddish (the language he spoke amongst his peers, back home in his country) the bochurim had no idea what my DH was saying sometimes. His Yiddish was so different from the American Yiddish speaking boys. He wasn't throwing in words from his homecountry's language either. My DH is not European.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 2:36 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Of course Yiddish is a combination of words from different languages. Just like all other languages. However there is a difference to Yiddish words that have been created from the origins from other languages versus inserting words from a different language into a Yiddish sentence.
For example: the word "slippers". The word in Yiddish for slippers is "shtekshich" but you will hear people calling them "puhpuch". The word puhpuch is Hungarian. It's not a Yiddish word that has a Hungarian origin. It's just a Hungarian word used by some Yiddish speaking people . It doesn't make the word part of the Yiddish language. Just like when a Hispanic person throws in a Spanish word into his English sentence.
My DH is from another country. When he came to yeshiva in America and spoke Yiddish (the language he spoke amongst his peers, back home in his country) the bochurim had no idea what my DH was saying sometimes. His Yiddish was so different from the American Yiddish speaking boys. He wasn't throwing in words from his homecountry's language either. My DH is not European.

Semantics
I see no difference between “originated from another language” versus “inserted from another language”. Probably just depends on how recent the addition is.
And I’d love to know where your dh is from that he speaks a Yiddish without a single addition of a different language.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 3:19 pm
Zehava wrote:
Semantics
I see no difference between “originated from another language” versus “inserted from another language”. Probably just depends on how recent the addition is.
And I’d love to know where your dh is from that he speaks a Yiddish without a single addition of a different language.

South America. Portuguese and Spanish and Yiddish are the languages he spoke at home.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics