Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Has you had success with alternative treatment for adhd?
Previous  1  2

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:08 pm
I am someone who probably would have been diagnosed with add as a kid, selective mutism, made very little eye contact, anxiety....
In HS I went on meds. They made me sleep all day and added to my health issues, with minimal effect, except for numbing.
I have done all of the above. Im not gonna say it's a quick and easy route
But it can be very rewarding if you stay on track.
Some things are more effective than others, depending on the person and what the underlying issues are. AdHD is just a name for a buch of symptoms. Try to find the root issue so that you can have a game plan.
For me diet and supplementation is crucial. cranial sacral helped. Kinesiology testing helped me a lot. More recently I worked with a practitioner who does osteopethy/feldenkrais- I realize that working on the biophysics is sometimes just as or more important as the biochemistry.
I also have had coaching.
If meds work for you then I'm not saying not to take them. Just understand that it's a treatment and not addressing any underlying issues.

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 3:38 pm
We have done a mix of therapy, supplements meds etc and finally this summer started to see significant improvement. The magic cocktail seems to be 1) mixing Intuniv and Straterra which is not traditional we also give zinc, magnesium and fish oil 2) therapy especially using the social thinking curriculum and 3) Parenting using the explosive child book. We have a ways to go but we are finally in a decent place.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:25 pm
I have a friend who has seen amazing results with the GUT diet.
Similar to a diet a pp mentioned.

Sparkle

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 7:54 pm
Quote:
Check out kidsbeyondmeds.com - it was started by an imamother member (who I haven't seen here in a long time) who went through a lot of trial and error after meds didn't work out for one of her kids. BH she had great success and went on to start a consulting business to help people sort through the options. Some parents would love to at least try to benefit from alternative treatments but just don't have the headspace to research everything and then decide what to try, figure out how to implement it, evaluate the effectiveness, and figure out what to try next. So I think her consulting is an amazing service.

I am the mom behind kidsbeyondmeds.com. The site has not been updated in a while as I went back to school last year to become an RD and realized I didn't have the time to service my clients AND take a full load in school. I found that without being able to order labs for each kids I couldn't successfully get to the bottom of the root causes of each kid's ADD/ADHD/Autism. Unfortunately there are a variety of different things that could cause the same symptoms, and without looking at each kid's specific profile, it can be hard to recommend which therapies/supplements will help. It also explains why a GF/CF diet works wonders for some (if the gut is the cause of the symptoms) or why Neurofeedback works for some and not others (does the brain need help "rewiring"?), and so on.

I am happy to answer any questions via PM as long as everyone remembers that I am not yet credentialed to give ANY specific advice.

Last edited by Sparkle on Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:48 pm
I remember this being discussed in the book "The Hyperactivity Hoax". I read this about fifteen years ago, and it's not one of those super popular books, but he goes into many of the possible causes for ADHD, one of them being gluten intolerance.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
I have a friend who has seen amazing results with the GUT diet.
Similar to a diet a pp mentioned.
Do you mean the GAPS diet?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:04 pm
Not my kids but I had a brother on meds so I saw what it did it helped but he still had a lot if issues. my friend had her son on meds doing play therapy where they worked a lot on his feeling and emotions and how to keep them on track and it really helped.
My daughter we found had sleep apnea as a baby and when I did research a lot of ADHD kids were misdiagnosed and really had sleep apnea so it good to always make sure there is no underlying issue
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)