Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lkwd girls schools current info,maybe need to switch,plzhelp

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:39 am
I'd like to know current information on maybe ateres Tzipora -this name keeps coming up as a warm school, maybe other schools.

it seems schools change over time.
The one I send to has been changing and they're driving me crazy with their demands and attitude. I'm not sure I want to send my younger one(s) there.

My school seems to have turned from a warm
loving place to a cold, rigid entity. Nobody to talk to, whatever they decide they tell you to jump and you have to ask how high. Academics im not sure about; kodesh seems good although I have nothing to compare to, writing good; math and science almost nonexistent.

What's the crowd in ateres tzipora and maybe other good schools, what does school teach generally, the atmosphere, attitudes, academics?

I'm looking for a not yeshivish schools, were not yeshivish and don't fit in with yeshivish crowd at all. We're frum, careful in many areas of our life, want to raise good solid frum happy smart kids, who care about mitzvos.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:40 am
Are you willing to send out of Lakewood? How long a commute?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Are you willing to send out of Lakewood? How long a commute?

No way, thinking about other options in lakewood.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 11:43 am
I used to be very happy with this school and it feels like they changed on me, over the past few years. Hanhala changed somewhat and it's not the place it used to be.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:15 pm
I have heard that Ateres Tzipora is very warm, but I have not heard that the academics are up to par. Maybe others can correct me - I would be happy to hear that.

I do find that as schools have an enrollment to bursting capacity, there's more and more of a "my way or the highway" attitude towards the parents. I've heard this in more than one school. They are squeezed to the max with staffing, finances, deficits in government assistance for kids needing tutoring, textbooks, etc...they are dealing with more than they want to chew, and the children are the ones feeling the pinch the most.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 2:08 pm
How do their academics compare with other school, Bais Faiga, bnos Yakov, bnos Brocha?

When ppl speak of academics, I'm kinda confused what's meant by higher academics? Better analytical skills, computation, comprehension, study habits, or high pressure memorization with loads of tests?

Low academics -is it that school is a
Glorified babysitting service, or just low pressure yet gaining knowledge and skills?

Chayalle

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 4:31 am
They just don't compare. As someone I know said - you either send your child to school for academics, or you send them to be in a warm environment where they enjoy the atmosphere and can make a good kugel.

Still, I would hope that they gain some knowledge and skills, for sure. But the academic level is significantly lower.

And good luck getting your kid into high school from that point....

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 5:03 am
Be careful-
Some of the small “warm “ schools don’t set too many rules. The outcome is girls with bright colored nail polish, unkempt hair, movies, radio songs -
Even if you say you wouldn’t allow all of it, peer pressure is too great for girls to withstand.
Check out the parent body and graduates

giselle

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 5:40 am
From what I understand, Bnos Bracha and Ateres Tzipora don’t have strong academics. Bnos Yaakov is known to be the strongest academically. Bais Faiga might be somewhere in the middle.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:04 am
giselle wrote:
From what I understand, Bnos Bracha and Ateres Tzipora don’t have strong academics. Bnos Yaakov is known to be the strongest academically. Bais Faiga might be somewhere in the middle.

I have also heard that Bnos Bracha doesn't have strong academics. Someone I know who teaches in Bais Faiga told me she was tutoring a girl who was transferring from Bnos Bracha (to BF) and needed to catch up.

However, I do think they have stronger academics than Ateres Tzipora, and their students are not having a hard time getting into high schools.

Bnos Yaakov is very strong academics, probably a notch up from Bais Faiga. Bais Faiga has good academics, and they are more chilled in the younger grades but up the ante starting in 4th grade or so, slowly building up. They believe in going easier on the kids when they are younger, and then slowly building it up as they grow.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:09 am
I switched my daughter out of Ateres Tzipora, and Bnos Bracha was not even on my radar, because I wanted stronger academics.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
I switched my daughter out of Ateres Tzipora, and Bnos Bracha was not even on my radar, because I wanted stronger academics.

Where did you go?

We wouldn't fit in bnos Yakov, and I can't imagine how to get into Bais Faiga at this point, we couldn't even get into their primary because they were full.

ETA: I don't know hot to get into any school as a matter of fact; we *dont fit* in more places than we do: we're not yeshivish, not chassidish, not balebatish or heimish, and not American well-to-do either. Oh, and not sefardi. And have no pulls.

And with my oldest about to graduate current school I'm realizing their academics aren't great. Plus the school did some things that are outright mean to me and one of my kids.
Really at a loss Sad

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:32 am
How does someone transfer to Bais Faiga mid-way through school? Whom do you approach and how without badmouthing the current school?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 7:28 am
amother wrote:
How does someone transfer to Bais Faiga mid-way through school? Whom do you approach and how without badmouthing the current school?

If you are not yeshivish and have no connections it’s not gonna work- sorry

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
Where did you go?

We wouldn't fit in bnos Yakov, and I can't imagine how to get into Bais Faiga at this point, we couldn't even get into their primary because they were full.

ETA: I don't know hot to get into any school as a matter of fact; we *dont fit* in more places than we do: we're not yeshivish, not chassidish, not balebatish or heimish, and not American well-to-do either. Oh, and not sefardi. And have no pulls.

And with my oldest about to graduate current school I'm realizing their academics aren't great. Plus the school did some things that are outright mean to me and one of my kids.
Really at a loss Sad

Sometimes it can be easier to get into a school in a higher grade. In primary you're competing against so many other people who are trying to get in. In an older grade you will probably be the only one. Also people move out of Lakewood or leave schools for other reasons, so they may have a slot. Most years my dds have at least one new girl in their class and/or somebody leaves.

You also might have an easier time getting into one of the newer, less established schools than Bais Faiga.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 8:42 am
amother wrote:
Be careful-
Some of the small “warm “ schools don’t set too many rules. The outcome is girls with bright colored nail polish, unkempt hair, movies, radio songs -
Even if you say you wouldn’t allow all of it, peer pressure is too great for girls to withstand.
Check out the parent body and graduates

If such a girl has excellent middos and is a decent caring person
The problem is ????
On the other hand if she is very "frum" and has all the right externals but isn't a nice girl
What is the point exactly

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 9:49 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
If such a girl has excellent middos and is a decent caring person
The problem is ????
On the other hand if she is very "frum" and has all the right externals but isn't a nice girl
What is the point exactly

Why are we talking about girls who aren’t nice??? Obviously all mothers want their girls to have nice middos. Middos are mostly learned from home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics