Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Frequent guest eats with mouth open

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:45 pm
We have a single girl that comes to us for meals quit often. She's about 25 years old and lives in our neighborhood. She asks to come for shabbos and yomtov meals and we are happy to have her! Until she starts eating! She eats with her mouth open and these obnoxious sounds coming out of her mouth! I can't believe her parents never taught her that we eat with our mouths closed. And forget about her parents shouldn't she realize herself how impolite and nauseating it is? I can't tell her anything I don't want to insult her!
I was thinking it could even be guys stop dating her after they take her out to eat...
Really don't know if I should say anything to her.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
We have a single girl that comes to us for meals quit often. She's about 25 years old and lives in our neighborhood. She asks to come for shabbos and yomtov meals and we are happy to have her! Until she starts eating! She eats with her mouth open and these obnoxious sounds coming out of her mouth! I can't believe her parents never taught her that we eat with our mouths closed. And forget about her parents shouldn't she realize herself how impolite and nauseating it is? I can't tell her anything I don't want to insult her!
I was thinking it could even be guys stop dating her after they take her out to eat...

Stop inviting her. Why should your family be nauseated for Shabbos?

I can't eat when I go to my friend's house because her oldest son does the same thing. I don't invite them here for that reason.

You shouldn't say anything because the is no upside.

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:

I can't eat when I go to my friend's house because her oldest son does the same thing. I don't invite them here for that reason.

The upside is maintaining a relationship.

trixx

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:

If she's anything like the older singles I know, she'd rather be offended once than lose a great host family. It's not easy for singles to find meals.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:00 pm
simcha2 wrote:
The upside is maintaining a relationship.

She won't magically stop eating like that. If only correcting acquaintances were so easy.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:04 pm
Talk to your children about good manners and chewing with your mouth closed while she is at the table.
Hopefully she’ll get the message.

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
She won't magically stop eating like that. If only correcting acquaintances were so easy.

She may. Sometimes people are completely unaware of something until it is pointed out to them. (Kindly to avoid embarrassing them).

Or she may have a medical issue. I don't chew with my mouth open, but I can't swallow and keep my mouth closed. Obviously I make sure my mouth is empty and don't open wide, just a small amount to relieve the uncomfortable pressure build up, but I had to learn how to do that in a polite manner. If it had never been brought to my attention that the natural way for me to eat required modification I would never have known.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:

Deleted

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
Talk to your children about good manners and chewing with your mouth closed while she is at the table.
Hopefully she’ll get the message.

This is what I'd do. I might even ask a thick-skinned child if I could reprimand them in front of her just for show so she would hopefully change the way she eats and we don't have to cause her embarrassment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette