Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Putting up Succos at night
Previous  1  2

cm

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:45 am
Many municipalities have noise ordinances. You can find out from your town how late/early construction noise is permitted.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:56 am
Fireworks are legal where I live, and even around Independence Day -the firework holiday of the year- our city STILL applies noise ordinance laws. They give an extra hour or two, but after that time, you can’t continue to set off fireworks in a residential area.

So if your town allows (reasonable) noise until a certain time, you can’t do much about it. However, after that time, you can complain, but if I were you, I’d go to the neighbors first, to resolve this issue, and if that doesn’t work, call your local police or other hotline to file a complaint.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 10:20 am
We're not talking about 6-8 pm. We're talking about people who start putting up their succah at 11:30 until 2-3am (two of my neighbors)

It also depends where you live. In the city it didn't bother me because there was always noise. But I no longer live in a city and every sound at night is amplified where I am and no, its not mentchlich to start your succah on Sunday night at 11:30 pm until 2 AM.

I find that if a person thinks about others all the time then neighbors will forgive them for a one night Succah issue, but if you're always the neighbor who causes aggravation....

All I can say is that I will try to be more considerate of others after this. I guess I gotta thank my inconsiderate neighbor.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
You can put it up one day at 7 pm.
Or on Sunday.
Or on a motzei shabbos immediarely after the zman if you must because many kids are up late.
Or Friday and hour before he Zman.

If non of these work, call your neighbors and ask which time works for both of you.

Don’t do an aveirah in order to do a mitzvah.

First of all, Sunday is a working day here.

Secondly, my DH often works past 7pm.

Thirdly, all the people in my building erect their sukkot on the same evening. We're all awake at once. If we build at a different time, we'll be *more* likely to be the cause of someone waking up than if we build along with everyone else.

Fourthly, there are designated quiet times in my town between 14:00-16:00 and 23:00-7:00. Other than that, people are generally tolerant of a little noise, especially something seasonal like sukkah construction.

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 9:13 pm
I am absolutely NOT a morning person. Usually anyone who wakes me up early feels my wrath. Twisted Evil

Still, when my neighbors woke me up at 6am with the banging, I lay there and thought "B'H, I'm living in a place where I can hear a mitzva." Very Happy

So, for those of you with little kids, what are you going to do when the men are singing zemiros loudly, drinking and laughing until the wee hours of the morning?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette