Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How much did Psicha for Neila go in your Shul, and which
1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:23 am
How much money did Psicha for Neila go for in your Shul, and which Shul is it?

TIA

simcha2

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:15 am
No bidding in our shul. All RH and YK kibbudim (aliyah, hagbahs, psichas, holding Torah for kol nidre etc.) are assigned before Yom Tov by a committee. The "bigger" kibbudim go to those who volunteer the most time (board, committee chairs etc.) .

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:32 am
Nobody pays for those honors here in our shul either. Never knew that it was a paying honor thing.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:35 am
Any Brooklyn folk here?

Do any Brooklyn Shuls (to the right of Modern Orthodox) not bid on Kibbudim?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:40 am
No bidding in my shul. They feel it detracts from the solemnity of the day. The big auction is simchas Torah. I have no idea how they assign kibbudim on yk. For regular contributions they mail out a silent appeal.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:48 am
My husband bought it for $200 he says. Brooklyn here

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:57 am
Is it possible that the Shuls with no bidding are Modern Orthodox?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
what difference does that make??

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:

What??!! I’ve spent many years in modern orthodox shuls as well as chassidish, yeshivish, JPG... and have never seen bidding other than on Simchas Torah.

My husband has davened in sefardic shuls for RH and YK and said that they do bidding there, fwiw.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:10 am
Where DH davens, every single aliyah over yom kippur is sold...hey, that's where they make their money. Psicha for neila, and maftir yona each went for around 2500 each. And that's the lower end. It goes in the 1000s...

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:11 am
Double post

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:

We daven at an MO shul in Monsey and there was bidding. I don’t remember how much it went for, but probably in the $3-400 range.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:23 am
amother wrote:
Where DH davens, every single aliyah over yom kippur is sold...hey, that's where they make their money. Psicha for neila, and maftir yona each went for around 2500 each. And that's the lower end. It goes in the 1000s...

All of they shuls that I’ve ever davened at make you buy seats for RH and YK to make more money. Its usually around $150-200 for one person for seats (RH and YK combined). Thats in addition to membership fees.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:27 am
watergirl wrote:
All of they shuls that I’ve ever davened at make you buy seats for RH and YK to make more money. Its usually around $150-200 for one person for seats (RH and YK combined). Thats in addition to membership fees.

All of the Shuls Ive ever davened in, both sold seats and had bidding on Kibbudim.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
All of the Shuls Ive ever davened in, both sold seats and had bidding on Kibbudim.

Bottom line - a shul has to do whatever it takes to pay the bills! I dont think there is any one “rule” about what “type” of shul does what.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:32 am
Must be that I have the unique experience of davening only in Shuls (not Chassidish, but not Mod Orthodox, somewhere in the middle, sort of like Agudah type) where afaik there always was bidding for Kibbudim.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:00 am
The now-defunct :cry shul I grew up in auctioned kibbudim. There was no term MO back then, or if there was, it was descriptive, not derogatory. It was a just plain Orthodox shul affiliated with the Orthodox Union. Lithuanian nusach and minhagim though members were from all over Eastern and Central Europe, mainly Holocaust survivors or first-generation American born. I have fond memories of the gabbai who was the auctioneer. This goes way back; bidding started at five or ten dollars and was real money, not a fancy coffee. I was a kid and the auction relieved the boredom of the services, but I’m glad my current shul doesn’t do this. I’d much rather have a break between musaf and mincha than sit through an auction.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:17 am
Anyone knows how its done in Lakewood Shuls, and if there was bidding, what the Kibbudim went for?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:17 am
Plum - why are you asking?

what goes on in shul - stays in shul... no?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:20 am
No bidding at our shul. Chasidish.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics