Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Safe to visit Chevron on chol hamoed??

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 2:33 pm
Hi! My family is in Israel and we were planning to visit Mearas Hamachpela on Wednesday of Chol Hamoed when Ohel Yitzchak is open. We want to hire a tender to take us. Does it need to be bullet proof? Is it considered safe to go now since the terrible murder of Ari Fuld HYD?
This is an optional trip and I wouldn't want to take responsibility taking my entire family if it's not safe.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 3:11 pm
I would have no problem going, but I would take the bus because it's safer.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:
Hi! My family is in Israel and we were planning to visit Mearas Hamachpela on Wednesday of Chol Hamoed when Ohel Yitzchak is open. We want to hire a tender to take us. Does it need to be bullet proof? Is it considered safe to go now since the terrible murder of Ari Fuld HYD?
This is an optional trip and I wouldn't want to take responsibility taking my entire family if it's not safe.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
You ask if it is safe after this specific murder? Unfortunately this murder is not specific in the eyes of the arabs who are terrorists. Meaning, just because this happened will not make aany difference in the eyes of the arabs who act up/out anyway.
You would definitely need to take a bullet proof vehicle.
Im not sure which day of chol hamoed, but there is a concert there one of the days, so that would also probably be the best day as there will be people all over and more security than usual.

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 4:25 pm
I usually go in our private family car without "bullet proof" windows. I wouldn't do anything which even smacks of dangerous around my kids, and I feel safe bringing them there as we are. But if you would feel more comfortable using a BP vehicle, then go for it.

Definitely do visit Hevron - it's unbelievably beautiful, what Jews have rebuilt there in just 50 years. Straight up geulah. If you are interested in contacts within the Hevron Jewish community, please pm me. Shavua tov!

Chazak613

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 5:37 pm
I would say to go with bulletproof bus/tender. Also recommend a driver that is very familiar with the area as not to accidentally drive into an arab village. Hatzlacha!

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:12 am
What shabbatiscoming said.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:27 am
In all honesty, Chevron (and the road leading to it) is one of the more terror-prone areas in Israel. It's not at all rare that someone with a knife is apprehended at the checkpoint by the Me'ara. The major news outlets barely report this so most people are oblivious, since b"h the overwhelming majority of these incidents are thwarted by security, which is indeed very dense at the Meara, especially now.
As far as getting there - why not just take the Egged bus? It's armored and very convenient.
Look, you're here now and it would be a terrible shame to miss out on seeing such an important and moving piece of our heritage because 'something might happen'.
Something can always happen. Anywhere. Take the necessary precautions and keep your wits about you and go and enjoy. It will be a tremendous experience - especially since Ohel* Yitzhak is open then.

ETA - I mean Ulam Yitzhak....

Last edited by etky on Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:47 am
Agree with what posters wrote above. Take the regular (armored) bus or take an armored vehicle for getting there. Around the machpelah there is always tight top level security on chol hamo'ed because there will be hundreds of visitors, security forces expect that and are prepared.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:24 am
Thank you to all those who replied. I do want to take a bullet proof bus but we are a larger group so I wanted to hire one but there are none available. There were other stops we wanted to make along the way so I thought it would be best to hire our own vehicle and driver instead of going with Egged.
We have an option of a vehicle that is stone proof but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
When I was asking about safety, for sure I understand it's a volatile area. But sometimes its quieter and sometime lo aleinu not so quiet. And in the States as someone mentioned we don't always get the full picture.
It is definitely a wonderful opportunity. I realize we are all in Hashems hands but we also need to do our hishtadlus.
Thanks everyone! Chag Sameach!

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:29 am
I think chol hamoed is actually a good time to go, because there is very tight security.

Not sure where you are coming from, but we have found it convenient to take the armored bus from Yerushalayim. They're frequent and cheap and reliable. How large is your group?

You don't want to get lost and drive into the wrong neighborhood in an unarmored car in Hevron.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
Thank you to all those who replied. I do want to take a bullet proof bus but we are a larger group so I wanted to hire one but there are none available. There were other stops we wanted to make along the way so I thought it would be best to hire our own vehicle and driver instead of going with Egged.
We have an option of a vehicle that is stone proof but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
When I was asking about safety, for sure I understand it's a volatile area. But sometimes its quieter and sometime lo aleinu not so quiet. And in the States as someone mentioned we don't always get the full picture.
It is definitely a wonderful opportunity. I realize we are all in Hashems hands but we also need to do our hishtadlus.
Thanks everyone! Chag Sameach!

OK, so in my estimation - as a person whose 'antenna' is always up - now is a volatile time, for a number of reasons.
BUT, I do think that if you can get an appropriate vehicle you should be able to feel sufficiently protected - also while you are at the Me'ara, with the enhanced security. Nothing is 100% of course but personally I don't feel it would be a wild and reckless thing for you to do, and I'm someone that doesn't like taking unnecessary risks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions