Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much money does an accountant make?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:21 am
Hi there!
My husband is looking into a degree in accounting. Does this profession make money? What are the hours like? I work too but am hoping to cut down on my hours eventually...

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:32 am
amother wrote:
Hi there!
My husband is looking into a degree in accounting. Does this profession make money? What are the hours like? I work too but am hoping to cut down on my hours eventually...

huge range.

starting maybe at 40k depending on location. Partners at big four firms make atleast ten times that amount.

hours really depend on where you work and and what your are doing at any point in your career.

Milky

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:09 am
amother wrote:
huge range.

starting maybe at 40k depending on location. Partners at big four firms make atleast ten times that amount.

hours really depend on where you work and and what your are doing at any point in your career.

Seconding this. There is such tremendous variation. I know super wealthy and super poor accountants.

My immediate response was - however much G-d wants him to make. Same as doctors, lawyers, businessmen and basically the rest of us! No guarantees.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:27 am
Really depends where you are, and how well you negotiate. Even within my office there is a huge range of salaries.
Remember accounting is a great gateway to other careers also

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 8:23 am
My DH is an accountant. As people have said it varies - with the different kind of accounting jobs and with the individual"s competence.

My DH is a sole practitioner specializing in tax returns and accounting for small businesses. This is ideal for him because he hates the idea of working for somebody (although when you are the business owner,the clients are your boss). But of course he didn''t start out that way - he worked as an employee, then got his own clients on the side and eventually set up shop alone.

If you do tax prep hours are killer during tax season which is of course Pesach. Other major tax deadlines are during the Tishrei chagim.

If your DH is detail oriented it can be an excellent field. it's great that it only needs a 4 year degree and no additional schooling.

Re hours: I don't think anybody makes a decent living today for the primary breadwinner working only 9-5.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:58 am
The range is huge - hours and pay. Depending on experience, seniority, large, medium or small firm, location, etc. My husband is a CPA and now (mid 40's) earns about $250,000 as a partner in a small boutique firm. Hours range from 40-45 hours per week, and schedule is flexible for him. But when he started out he earned maybe $50,000 and worked 60+ hour weeks for a huge national firm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics