Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fasting and IBS?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 8:55 pm
I'm so nervous to fast on Yom Kippur. I developed IBS this year after a nasty stomach bug and I get stomach cramps/pain pretty regularly. This morning I tried to fast but my stomach was hurting so I broke it. All my tests basically came back normal bH, but I'm still scared that I'm G-d forbid harming myself by fasting. Any one else with IBS and/or acid reflux issues (I seem to have that as well), what's your advice for fasting? How do you get through it? I talked to a rav and he said that he can't really tell me if I need shiurim or not, it's really a personal decision based on how I'm feeling. So I just feel nervous now, because I would assume stomach pain doesn't mean I need shiurim...

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:33 pm
first of all, don't take the diagnosis that seriously. It just means something is wrong with your GI tract and it isn't the things they tested for, so they call it IBS. You need to get to a top GI in the hospital in your city, even if it takes months to get it. That is the only way to get to the bottom of it in my experience (you need through blood testing, SIBO breath test, colonoscopy, endoscopy, h pylori testing, allergy testing, anarectal menomotry etc).

Regarding the fast, try to pinpoint what the main symptoms are and if you can find relief from anything you do/take. For example, if you have reflux, take an antacid (pref PPI for short term of a few weeks so it lasts over the fast) every day till after yom kippur. If you have gas pain, see if gax x does anything, or see if inducing a BM does anything (by taking a glycerin fleet suppository). If either of these help, do these the night before the fast. You can also play around with your diet (which you should do in any case, regardless of the fast). Try going off gluten, dairy, caffeine, and hard to digest vegetables like broccoli until after YK.

No one is going to let you off from fasting on YK for a stomach ache. I am sorry you are going through this. I have been trying to get to the bottom of my IBS for literally 15 years and finally am close to healed. It stinks (pun not intended Smile

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:39 pm
OP. Thanks so much for your response. Did you get more answers beyond just IBS from all those tests you mentioned? I've done almost all of those, not the last two you mentioned though. I've been seeing a really good GI and I've definitely had positive results from the low fodmap diet, but it hasn't solved everything.

Those are some good ideas Smile I would love to hear more from you on what worked to heal you. Can I message you?

Gmar chasima tova and an easy and meaningful fast!

amother wrote:
first of all, don't take the diagnosis that seriously. It just means something is wrong with your GI tract and it isn't the things they tested for, so they call it IBS. You need to get to a top GI in the hospital in your city, even if it takes months to get it. That is the only way to get to the bottom of it in my experience (you need through blood testing, SIBO breath test, colonoscopy, endoscopy, h pylori testing, allergy testing, anarectal menomotry etc).

Regarding the fast, try to pinpoint what the main symptoms are and if you can find relief from anything you do/take. For example, if you have reflux, take an antacid (pref PPI for short term of a few weeks so it lasts over the fast) every day till after yom kippur. If you have gas pain, see if gax x does anything, or see if inducing a BM does anything (by taking a glycerin fleet suppository). If either of these help, do these the night before the fast. You can also play around with your diet (which you should do in any case, regardless of the fast). Try going off gluten, dairy, caffeine, and hard to digest vegetables like broccoli until after YK.

No one is going to let you off from fasting on YK for a stomach ache. I am sorry you are going through this. I have been trying to get to the bottom of my IBS for literally 15 years and finally am close to healed. It stinks (pun not intended Smile

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
Can I message you?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 16 2018, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jdoe

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 7:36 am
OP - Been struggling with this for years. It's so hard and very emotional. I have crohns and over the years, have gotten heters to eat, if need be.
A diagnosis is also critical for your future quality of life. I'd highly recommend you go through the motions of finding out what's wrong. Meds can exponentially improve your daily quality of life. While its emotional, well worth it.
Good luck!

Metukah

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 7:50 am
I've been suffering with ibs for 15 years. I have never found that fasting has done any harm or even made me feel worse by the end of the day.

Actually sometimes a break from food makes my stomach feel better. Just be careful what you eat on motze Yom kippur.

I think a heter not to fast is more for people that may suffer with lasting damage (dehydration, too early labour...).

My husband suffers terribly from migraine. Fasting often brings it on. It is often crippling but although it can last a few days, it eventually goes. He wouldn't get a heter not to fast on the major fasts.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 8:05 am
I have IBS and reflux for years and a few other things and I don't see a problem with fasting. You are over concerned about something that is very common and not deadly. Also IBS can come from anxiety too.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:08 am
I have IBS for years already & I never saw fasting being an issue. I doubt you'd get any sort of heter.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 10:48 am
OP here I'm not worried about it being life threatening, Gd forbid. However this is very new for me, the past year I've gone through tons of medical testing and bH I finally seem to be making headway with dietary changes but it's still a new challenge for me that does cause me some anxiety. And from experience having an empty stomach can make my reflux and nausea worse. I agree that anxiety makes it worse as well, however Thank Gd I tend to feel pretty relaxed on YK. The purpose of my post was more just to vent and see if any one had ideas to prepare mentally for it since this is a new challenge. I'm not really seeking a heter.

amother wrote:
I have IBS and reflux for years and a few other things and I don't see a problem with fasting. You are over concerned about something that is very common and not deadly. Also IBS can come from anxiety too.

Jdoe

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 2:01 pm
Been there. Done that. Reflux / acid is very common. Get omeprazole. Take 2 before the fast. you'll be fine.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 16 2018, 9:41 pm
I also have IBS and reflux and anxiety (as well as other issues). I have trouble fasting because I am underweight and have low blood pressure. I got a heter once on yk to use shiurim but only because I was pregnant with a whole bunch of issues. I always have anxiety about fasting so can somewhat sympathize. Fasting does cause a build-up of stomach acid so it can cause nausea and stomach pain. Just take it easy after the fast. And remember that the fear of the unknown is all in your mind and you have the power to change how you think and feel. If you can't calm the anxiety, just use it to help you daven better. I always find that when I'm afraid of something I have a lot more kavana.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 17 2018, 12:26 pm
Update from OP: I spoke to a rav again and I made sure to also let him know that I have a tendency to faint and am an anxious person, so he said that I should try to fast as much as possible but if I feel weaker than normally when fasting I can drink shiurim. G-d willing I won't need to, but I feel a little more at ease now.

STMommy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:07 am
Hey fellow IBSers, how did you all do yesterday? I was ok except for a brief period during the afternoon where I was feeling especially weak and dizzy but then it passed. But then of course in my usual fashion I wasn't feeling well last night or this morning.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:08 am
OP: Overall fasted well thank G-d. Had some stomach pain towards the end of the fast, but the hardest part was the acid reflux that kept me up at night afterwards. But BH the fast went well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur