Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Mens mikvah

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 12:33 pm
So my husband went today and every year I am shocked that there is absolutely no privacy there. I told my husband kol hakavod, I would never go. I imagine it is sooooooo awkward. All of them waiting in line together. Isnt there a concept of tznius for men?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:16 pm
Why is that any worse than a locker room/ sauna by a Gym..

When I was single I went almost daily to Living Well Lady on Kings Highway. Everyone there, Jewish, Non-J, Frum Secular, was standing around various states of undress, talking about their period, exercise, their health...

I would think thats much worse than a mens mikva

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:27 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why is that any worse than a locker room/ sauna by a Gym..

When I was single I went almost daily to Living Well Lady on Kings Highway. Everyone there, Jewish, Non-J, Frum Secular, was standing around various states of undress, talking about their period, exercise, their health...

I would think thats much worse than a mens mikva

By gyms, noone is standing there naked, or standing in line naked. Come on, cannot compare

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Sep 18 2018, 1:40 pm
That’s just what men’s mikvahs are like. Yes I think it’s crazy. But that’s the norm.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 11:59 am
Dh goeserev shabbos. He won’t take the boys until they are mature enough to handle it.
Basically you go in, do your business and leave.
Erev Yom Kippur is actually less crowded since the chassidim have gone to Yerushalayim already.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 2:41 pm
DH says they wear towels around their waists while they wait on line. They just drop the towel, go in, dunk, come out, and put the towel around again.

A neighbor took his young son to the mikva. The kid came back and told all the boys on the block (including my son) that he saw a lot of Totty's tushies!

I was really upset about that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 7:04 pm
That's why my husband doesn't go!

hodeez

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 7:15 pm
Like my husband says: bumper to bumper traffic!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
So my husband went today and every year I am shocked that there is absolutely no privacy there. I told my husband kol hakavod, I would never go. I imagine it is sooooooo awkward. All of them waiting in line together. Isnt there a concept of tznius for men?

Women are very different from men in the area of shame and modesty, therefore the Torah’s emphasis on tzniut and privacy for the women when they go to mikvah.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 19 2018, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
DH says they wear towels around their waists while they wait on line. They just drop the towel, go in, dunk, come out, and put the towel around again.

A neighbor took his young son to the mikva. The kid came back and told all the boys on the block (including my son) that he saw a lot of Totty's tushies!

I was really upset about that.

Haha, not to the mikvaos my husband has gone to all these years. He said there are a bunch of shower stalls near each other, open for everyone to see each other. Then they all stand in line in their birthday suits, no towels. Omg, the more I think about it, the more I am impressed that my husband actually has the guts to go every erev Yom Kippur.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:00 am
There are all types of mikves.
Heck some have the custom to bathe/be bathed by friends before their weddings (I'd not consider).

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:53 am
I was told that on the way into the mikvah, no towel, to show you're not embarrassed of your bris. On the way out, yes towel for tznius.

At least in Chabad, men and boys are supposed to go to the mikvah every morning. I imagine they get used to it pretty quickly. (Although I still giggle when DH tells me who he met in the mikvah and/or what they talked about...)

I understand girls' locker rooms also often have open shower stalls, and IIRC there was a thread on here many eons ago about women changing by the pool.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:53 am
Yeaaaah though I never saw the stalls used irl. I'd freak out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur