Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How to decorate a canvas sukkah

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:58 am
Best way to attach decorations to a canvas sukkah please?
TIA

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:19 am
Safety pins

tachles

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:40 am
Velcro tape

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:45 am
punch a hole at the top of whatever it is and hang it from the poles that would be under the schach, thats what we do.

Judy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 4:08 am
Yup that’s what I do . Anything that would need to be on the wall I punch hole in signs or kids decorations and put in a string over the poles. But most of the decorations I hang from the ceiling all the chains and colorful things from the schach or beams. I personally don’t like using safety pins bec it makes holes in the material.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:22 am
We also use a hole punch for decorations. Along with ribbon matching the canvas and safety pins.

JLi

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:44 am
We just learned this past Shabbos that anything that hangs lower than 28cm under the s'chach /poles makes the entire Succah passul.
So check with your LOR before you start hanging your children's decoration's from the poles.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:27 am
This past year, I tried sticking magnets to the artwork, then putting the matching magnet on the canvas outside the sukkah. Worked beautifully. We used the holes and string from the top as backup.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:30 am
JLi wrote:
We just learned this past Shabbos that anything that hangs lower than 28cm under the s'chach /poles makes the entire Succah passul.
So check with your LOR before you start hanging your children's decoration's from the poles.

What????? I hope you've got this a bit mixed up or I've never had a valid succah.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:34 am
JLi wrote:

DH (not a rav, but quite learned) says while there is something about hanging things from the schach, the concern is only if it's blocking the view of the schach -- so you shouldn't hang big things horizontal to the schach (that would make a kind of ceiling.)

Using the poles to hang things perpendicularly against the canvas walls does not seem to be at all an issue.

It might be worth it to recheck what you heard last Shabbos, and confirm with your rav.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:22 am
JLi wrote:
We hang everything very high all of the time as we have a few very tall family members, so no problems over here.

essie14

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:14 pm
imasinger wrote:
This past year, I tried sticking magnets to the artwork, then putting the matching magnet on the canvas outside the sukkah. Worked beautifully. We used the holes and string from the top as backup.

That's a great idea!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:44 pm
I use glue dots!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 12:46 pm
I have a canvas Sukka made with polls all around. I bought a lot of tinsel & I wrap all polls in coordinating colors. I hang flower balls from the ceiling. It's absolutely beautiful & festive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics