Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Anyone else not fast at all?
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 1:53 pm
I was 5 days post birth and my rav told me to eat and drink as normal (I’m still feeling very weak). This was my first Yom Kippur not fasting at all. I saw a lot of posters saying they did shiurim and was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 2:08 pm
Once

flmommy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:07 pm
You listened to your Rabbi, you are good! Mazal tov

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 3:22 pm
flmommy wrote:
You listened to your Rabbi, you are good! Mazal tov

Aww thanks - wow, well done for reading between the lines and picking up on my insecurity!

Just noticed my amother color haha.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
I was 5 days post birth and my rav told me to eat and drink as normal (I’m still feeling very weak). This was my first Yom Kippur not fasting at all. I saw a lot of posters saying they did shiurim and was just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me.

Mazel tov on the new baby.

Hope you're feeling stronger.

And you had exactly the Yom Kippur you were supposed to. Yasher koach, and wishing you a year full of more good things.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:21 pm
Wow I never heard of 5 days post birth should be able to eat & drink normally.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:41 pm
I am too fragile medically to fast. Last year, I did shurim and ended up on the floor.

I hated fasting, and now I hate I can't fast.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:41 pm
I once have birth within a week of 9 av and was told that you're forbidden to fast for a week. I think the minimum is 3 days after birth and 7 days if you're not feeling well

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 5:50 pm
I was once seven days after birth and was told not to fast at all. We made a vach nacht on motzei Yom Kippur!

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:

When else should you be doing that? I've always heard under 7 days eat regular and under 30 eat shiurim.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:

3 days for sure. 7 days very likely. More then that, more likely shiurim but even then a possibility.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 6:51 pm
The first 3 days it’s assur to fast. Within the first week she is a choleh sh'yesh la sakana. The first month, a choleh sh'ein bo sakana.
I gave birth 12 days before 9av. I fasted till chatzos.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:09 pm
I had a late miscarriage on 6 Tishrei once. I was told to drink shiurim.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:14 pm
Tishu ba'av is a derabanan, yom kipper deoreisa. You can't compare. Many healthy women don't fast tishu ba'av.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:25 pm
Gave birth on the 8th of Tishrei and was told to do shiurim with liquids and if possible avoid solid food. I used milk for the liquids so I did fine. The next baby was born on the 8th of Av, late in the day and I was told to eat as necessary and our rebbitzen brought a fruit basket and told me make a bracha and eat.

Yom Kippur is more stringent than Tisha b' Av and rabbonim probably also have to weigh in the actual condition of the sick person or new mother when making the decision.

I see some really frail elderly and would be very surprised if they're totally fasting.

I have a friend, who due to a brain injury several years ago, apparently has a heter not to fast because she takes weeks to recover.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:54 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Mazel tov on the new baby.

Hope you're feeling stronger.

And you had exactly the Yom Kippur you were supposed to. Yasher koach, and wishing you a year full of more good things.

Amen! Thank you so much, you are so kind.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:

Me too - I thought it was only for 3 days, but I’m so glad I got the heter because I don’t know how I would have managed shiurim in the state I was in.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:45 pm
I was once told not to fast because I was extremely fragile emotionally. Other years was told to do shiurim.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:58 am
I have a long standing heter not to fast at all, because of my health and the medications I'm on. I always feel terribly guilty.

This year I decided to try and do shiurim, and I really regret it. I feel like I've been run over by a truck, have a horrible migraine, hurt all over, and get dizzy every time I change positions or turn my head too fast.

Moral of the story, listen to your rabbis, and don't be so hard on yourself! Hashem does not want us to suffer needlessly, that's why we have rabbis.

I heard once that "a bad Jew is cries because he has to fast, and a good Jew cries when he can't fast." I don't think that's entirely it, though. A wise Jew will find out when he should not fast, and then not cry at all.

vicki

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:02 am
southernbubby wrote:
The next baby was born on the 8th of Av, late in the day and I was told to eat as necessary and our rebbitzen brought a fruit basket and told me make a bracha and eat.

I have an 8th of Av baby too. I was told to eat as usual. But I didn't get a fruit basket. Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur