Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Choleh shyesh bo sakanah

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:15 pm
Please answer only if you know this. Gives sources if you can. What's the din?

Assur to fast? (must eat)
Can either eat or do shiurim or eat?
Depends? (on what ?)

Also who decides if they have this status?

esuss

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:21 pm
Only your Rabbi can help you answer that question.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 7:29 pm
There's a huge difference between Yom Kippur- deoraysa issue kareis, and Tisha Bav derabannan.

And eating shiurim is a loophole. Basically eating more than a shiur is the amount that's assur. So eating small shiurim lowers the issue from a deoraysa to a derabbanan.

Seas

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:24 pm
What's also relevant is whether fasting will contribute to the sakanah. In other words, someone might be terminally ill chalila, but fasting won't make one bit of difference. In that case, they're not considered chola sheyesh bo sakanah in regards fasting.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:47 pm
I was fascinated to see a woman come to shul with a heparin lock taped neatly to her hand.

My son says if someone is on IV and they're about to remove it before Yom Kippur, it's recommended to keep it over Yom Kippur if the person would otherwise need to eat or drink what we call "shiurim" (when we really mean pochus mi'k'shiur).

However, I don't know of any Rov who says that if someone would need to drink, they should rather arrange to have an IV. Is this common?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
I was fascinated to see a woman come to shul with a heparin lock taped neatly to her hand.

My son says if someone is on IV and they're about to remove it before Yom Kippur, it's recommended to keep it over Yom Kippur if the person would otherwise need to eat or drink what we call "shiurim" (when we really mean pochus mi'k'shiur).

However, I don't know of any Rov who says that if someone would need to drink, they should rather arrange to have an IV. Is this common?

Yes. My pregnant SIL who suffered from dehydration during her first trimester had IV administered as opposed to drinking as per her Rav.

Maybe

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:37 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Yes. My pregnant SIL who suffered from dehydration during her first trimester had IV administered as opposed to drinking as per her Rav.

Rav Wosner & Rav Feinstein both opposed IV

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:40 am
IMHO, you need a doctor who is familiar with all aspects of your health. The doctor needs to consult not with just any rabbi, but one who specializes in medical ethics in halacha. Expect the process to take a few weeks, as sometimes several rabbis need to consult with each other.

BTDT, got the heter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions