Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Anyone else not fast at all?
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 5:22 am
vicki wrote:
I have an 8th of Av baby too. I was told to eat as usual. But I didn't get a fruit basket. Sad

Well you certainly deserved one!

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 6:26 am
southernbubby wrote:
Gave birth on the 8th of Tishrei and was told to do shiurim with liquids and if possible avoid solid food. I used milk for the liquids so I did fine. The next baby was born on the 8th of Av, late in the day and I was told to eat as necessary and our rebbitzen brought a fruit basket and told me make a bracha and eat.

Yom Kippur is more stringent than Tisha b' Av and rabbonim probably also have to weigh in the actual condition of the sick person or new mother when making the decision.

I see some really frail elderly and would be very surprised if they're totally fasting.

I have a friend, who due to a brain injury several years ago, apparently has a heter not to fast because she takes weeks to recover.

Oh, wow, southernbubby, I had a baby on 9th Tishrei (three hours before Yom Kippur) and was told to eat and drink normally. Actually, if I had a dollar for every person who called me to tell me "you must eat!" I would have a nice trust fund for my baby Tongue Out . It was really weird, I ate full meals and I davened every single thing in the machzor - but to be honest, it didn't feel like Yom Kippur. I hated it.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 6:48 am
southernbubby wrote:
Gave birth on the 8th of Tishrei and was told to do shiurim with liquids and if possible avoid solid food. I used milk for the liquids so I did fine. The next baby was born on the 8th of Av, late in the day and I was told to eat as necessary and our rebbitzen brought a fruit basket and told me make a bracha and eat.

Yom Kippur is more stringent than Tisha b' Av and rabbonim probably also have to weigh in the actual condition of the sick person or new mother when making the decision.

I see some really frail elderly and would be very surprised if they're totally fasting.

I have a friend, who due to a brain injury several years ago, apparently has a heter not to fast because she takes weeks to recover.

I had a miscarriage and D&C on 8th of Av one year and just ate normally on the fast. It was very sad and now every year I feel so grateful that I am healthy enough to fast.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
Tishu ba'av is a derabanan, yom kipper deoreisa. You can't compare. Many healthy women don't fast tishu ba'av.

I don’t know any healthy women who just stamp don’t fast on Tisha B’Av. I know many who fast as long as they can, or only until chatzos, but none who just outright don’t fast. Even the chassidish women I know who generally don’t fast at all will fast Tisha B’Av
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur