Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Why didn’t it rise?

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:10 am
I made a challah recipe last night and stuck it in the fridge overnight (like usual) and it didn’t rise. I proofed the yeast before so I know it was fresh and active. What could I have done wrong??

I followed the recipe basically to the T, the only thing that stood out to me was that I was told to add the salt and some other ingredients to the (already proofed) yeast mixture before the flour. Could the salt have been the issue?? I made this recipe before and it worked and was delicious!

So disappointing.

(Recipe was overtime cooks whole wheat challah)

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:14 am
Also is there anything I can do with the dough now or just trash it??

tf

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:19 am
Salt does hinder rising of dough. It should not initially touch any part of the yeast. But you say that you put first salt, then flour and only after the flour covered the salt do you add yeast. Did I get you correct? If you did this yesterday also then yeaat interacting with salt is not the cause. So what was different with this dough than all others?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:23 am
Someone once told me to always add the salt last to my challah dough since it affects how the yeast works

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:33 am
First I proofed the yeast for about 10 minutes, then I added salt plus other ingredients, flour last.

Has anyone ever tried re-activating dough with a little bit of new yeast? I saw that on Google…

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:39 am
Never add salt directly to yeast. Add it last, after adding part of the flour. Direct contact with salt kills yeast.

I have successfully revived dough by working in new yeast. Barring that, I suggest making pretzels.

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:21 am
Zaq - that was my fear...it’s weird because the recipe listed to add the ingredients in that order but it didn’t make sense to me.
How would I add more yeast? I have instant dry. The recipe has 9-10 c of flour

mom!

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:39 am
Was your water the right temperature? Too hot or too cold can effect it...

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:52 am
Water temp was fine, I proofed the yeast before so I know it was alive.

I’m going to try adding in more yeast, if anyone knows how much?

If that doesn’t work any other uses for the dough or it’s gabage?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:02 am
esther11 wrote:
Zaq - that was my fear...it’s weird because the recipe listed to add the ingredients in that order but it didn’t make sense to me.
How would I add more yeast? I have instant dry. The recipe has 9-10 c of flour

Mix the dry yeast with a little warm water to make a slurry, then knead it little by little into the dough. You don’t want to use a lot of water but just enough so the mixture is runny, not thick like peanut butter. I’d use a tablespoon of yeast to start.

thanks

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 12:09 pm
Make rugaluch with it.

esther11

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 1:13 pm
So I put the dough in a really warm place and it ended up rising bH!! Weird that it didn’t rise in the fridge the way it usually does but I’m glad it worked out. Thanks for all the input!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads