Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Machon HS
1  2  3  Next

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 04 2018, 4:50 pm
What kind of school Machon HS is these days? I heard that the hanhala changed. What is it like now, in terms of girls, families, academics.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 9:28 pm
Considering it for my daughter and would like some information as well

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:00 pm
I have dealt with Machon for many years as a vendor, and both before and after administrative changes, they are one of my most honest, honorable customers. They pay their bills in a timely manner and don't play games.

I know this is not helpful from a parent's perspective, but given all the bad experiences people have with school administrations, I feel like it's important to "say something" positive when you "see something."

chestnut

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:07 pm
That's great to hear, thanks!
Would also like to hear from parents.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 20 2018, 10:26 pm
I'm not a parent but I do know the new(ish?) principal, Mrs. Machlis, to be fabulous as both a human and as a professional. So they did at least one thing right by bringing her on board and I am sure that the school only improved as a result.

Other than that I know nothing about the school itself.

chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 8:40 am
Is the the current principal? Cause I heard the administration has changed frequently over the past few years

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 1:59 pm
Yes, the administration changed, someone left and Mrs. Machlis replaced them.

cnc

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:11 pm
Which Mrs. Machlis. Where was she previously?
Aldo did she just join Machon this year?

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:22 pm
I think last year.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 6:23 pm
Im a teacher there for the last six years. Ask me anything specific.
I can say that it has a superbly caring administration, and is highly professional. The student body has changed over the years to a mixture of girls who dont fit the regular Bais Yaakov box, girls who are academically weak, or girls who have not made it into another High School of their choice.
Teachers and principals go above and beyond their duties for the students.

chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 6:39 pm
Babypink amother, I'd love to talk to you more. Do you mind messaging me?

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 4:46 pm
chestnut wrote:
What kind of school Machon HS is these days? I heard that the hanhala changed. What is it like now, in terms of girls, families, academics.

I am a machon alumnus, graduated about 5+ years ago. Machon of yesteryear exists no longer!! If your decision has anything to do with what it was, go elsewhere!!

I am not sure what gave them the right to dismiss the heart of the school!! I dont know how its functioning and im not surprised that its been taking them time to get back on their feet??

Originally it was a place where a mainstream-ish BY girl can ask questions and get answers and feel cared for!! there were girls of all types and was almost a family!!

Today its more of a bummy crowd, parents who originally were chassidishe stripped their garb and wtev else and consider themselves ‘saved’....

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
Im a teacher there for the last six years. Ask me anything specific.
I can say that it has a superbly caring administration, and is highly professional. The student body has changed over the years to a mixture of girls who dont fit the regular Bais Yaakov box, girls who are academically weak, or girls who have not made it into another High School of their choice.
Teachers and principals go above and beyond their duties for the students.

Sure its all true that would be similar to what the school was founded on but where are their jewish hashkafos these days?!?! Do I honestly want my daughter with a bunch of ‘second class’ citizens?!?! Girls struggling with many issues from too many backgrounds!!

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
Sure its all true that would be similar to what the school was founded on but where are their jewish hashkafos these days?!?! Do I honestly want my daughter with a bunch of ‘second class’ citizens?!?! Girls struggling with many issues from too many backgrounds!!

I have no dog in the fight at all, but if you're representative of the kind of students they used to produce... then no thanks. They're better off with the newer more tolerant crowd.

chestnut

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:21 pm
Bronze Amother, can you please pm me or explain about "bummy crowd" and "second class citizens"? Is it only about different backgrounds? Do girls have behavior problems?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 11:36 pm
I understand that non Chassidish schools arent as needed in BP, but what led to the huge downfall of the once VERY hard to get into Machon?

I know years ago when they were considered "tops", they didnt take a perfect girl I know, because her parents were divorced.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:51 am
amother wrote:
I have no dog in the fight at all, but if you're representative of the kind of students they used to produce... then no thanks. They're better off with the newer more tolerant crowd.

I just simply don't tolerate ‘promoting’ the principal to menahel emeritus!

Its a good place for the right girl... its become more like a ‘kiruv school’

Its not the school I went to

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:57 am
amother wrote:
I just simply don't tolerate ‘promoting’ the principal to menahel emeritus!

Its a good place for the right girl... its become more like a ‘kiruv school’

Its not the school I went to

From the way you speak, that can only be a good thing.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 3:02 am
Bronze amother, If I was your teacher, I would have patiently put you into place. I hope I wasn't, as that would have been an opportunity surpassed, and that would have upset me, and my responsibilities as a devoted teacher.
Every girls deserves to have a place where she can call her home away from home, and that is what Machon has become. Im sorry that you find an institution that is caring, accepting, and non-judgemental inferior. I can just hope and pray that your daughter doesn't turn out to be a "second class citizen" with "issues", and by the likes of your attitude, you should be praying as well. Pray hard. Or she may end up in GASP. Machon, who will accept her, care for her, guide her, and encourage her to reach her full potential.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 3:21 am
I went there 7 years ago. My sister goes there now. I was more typical mainstream BY type, she is not. The school is catering more to her type now, which is great because there was no school for her. She's a girl who had a lot of questions not being answered, struggling with tznuis etc... the school is catering more to those types of girls, and doing a great job.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics