Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Leaving flame on but don't want to leave window open @night
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 12:59 am
I'd like to leave a flame on but do not want to leave a window open at night for fear of thieves ch"v. Is it safe if I leave a window open all day? Should the window be in the kitchen or on the second floor of my home (or both)?
I do have a carbon monoxide alarm that (I hope, I think) works.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:03 am
You have to leave a window in the kitchen open if you don't want to risk carbon monoxide. I live on the first floor & I never leave a flame one because I can't leave the window open.

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:07 am
Its not worth the risk. Every chag we hear of horrific fires R”L. Is hot soup THAT important? Hot plate on a timer, off at night and when you plan to be out. Please.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:07 am
Can you ask a neighbor to just turn on the flame for you so you don't have to leave it on all night? That's what I have done in the past. I've just made arrangements ahead of time to have one of my nice neighbors turn/off a flame on yom tov if I needed to cook. Much safer.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:11 am
watergirl wrote:
Its not worth the risk. Every chag we hear of horrific fires R”L. Is hot soup THAT important? Hot plate on a timer, off at night and when you plan to be out. Please.

This.

And it should be pinned.

trixx

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:29 am
My friend when newlywed nearly died one of the first few shabbosim of their marriage. Low flame no window open. Somehow miraculously an alarm went off and woke them up, hatzalah said another few seconds and they would have been too far gone to wake up.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 5:18 am
There is a timer you can install to shutoff the gas at a certain time, great for yt when you can turn it back on as needed

Aylat

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 5:31 am
Gosh. I leave a flame on lots of times, never thought of this. Though of course I make sure there is nothing flammable anywhere near. How is it different than a blech?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:10 am
Ask your rav if it's ok for you to do this: after using the fire, open a few windows and doors so the air should blow out the fire. Then you can turn of the gas.
We do this all the time

Judy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:24 am
Am I missing something? What’s the issue with leaving on a flame? Doesn’t everyone ( or many - is assume it’s fairly common -I guess some use hot plates or other methods) leave on flames Shabbos with a blech and yt to cook? I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years never thought twice about it- and yt I leave oven on too.

debbie321

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:42 am
Judy wrote:
Am I missing something? What’s the issue with leaving on a flame? Doesn’t everyone ( or many - is assume it’s fairly common -I guess some use hot plates or other methods) leave on flames Shabbos with a blech and yt to cook? I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years never thought twice about it- and yt I leave oven on too.

Leaving a flame from a stovetop on for so long can c"v cause a buildup of carbon monoxide in the house

Op, I leave my window open a little, not all the way at night, if it helps

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:45 am
Judy wrote:

The gas burning can create a buildup of carbon monoxide; if you do this, you MUST leave a window open next to the oven. Hatzolah had actually been issuing this psa in the past few years in light of people literally being killed because of this. Is your hot soup worth the risk?

An no, everyone certainly do NOT do this. Like I said in my first post, after every chag we hear of tragedy that came from a flame left unattended. This is so easily prevented. There is no reason to cook over chag (just because you can). Everything is cooked before and if anything, an electric hot plate (on a timer) is used to reheat the food. Other than the obvious safety that this provides, it enables you to enjoy the chag and not spend it in the kitchen cooking!! Yes, I know its a lot to cook before a chag. I’ve been making yontiv since 2000, all meals and hosting.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 7:37 am
For those who leave a window open, are you not worried about thieves?
Also I thought I read to leave a window open on the other side of the room, not right near the oven. (I don't have one right near my oven anyway.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 7:46 am
We left a flame on and forgot to open a window because we also had the air conditioning on. Our carbon monoxide detector went off and we had to open all windows and doors and leave our house for a few hours until the alarm finally stopped.
Don't risk it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 9:00 am
I don't leave the window. Never heard of this. That said I'm first floor so I wouldn't be afraid to leave the window, I do it in summer etc. Some people on ground floors get bars.

clowny

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 9:57 am
I leave a flame on every Yom Tov and was told that if the flame is burning properly meaning that there’s fire coming out from all around the burner, then it’s usually safe. But I must admit that this thread is giving me second thoughts now.
How do you all light candles on the second night if you have no flame on?

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 10:07 am
clowny wrote:
I leave a flame on every Yom Tov and was told that if the flame is burning properly meaning that there’s fire coming out from all around the burner, then it’s usually safe. But I must admit that this thread is giving me second thoughts now.
How do you all light candles on the second night if you have no flame on?

I have a yartzeit candle in the glass jar (never the plastic! Those should be taken off the market!) burning on foil, far away from anything else. I light it off that.

pause

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 11:33 am
watergirl wrote:
I have a yartzeit candle in the glass jar (never the plastic! Those should be taken off the market!) burning on foil, far away from anything else. I light it off that.

The glass ones can explode. I think ra_mom once posted about her experience with that. After reading that, I b'davka use plastic! I guess there's no way that's totally 100% guaranteed safe.

pause

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 11:36 am
The point is there shouldn't be a gas buildup in your home. You can leave a window open in YOUR bedroom (and any children's bedrooms) and the door to your bedroom slightly open, or if there's space under the door for air to travel. As long as you and the flame aren't in an enclosed area, it's fine. It's better for the window to be near the flame to right away dilute the gas being emitted, but just for overnight, a window to ventilate YOUR space should be sufficient. And that's less attractive to thieves.

Optione

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 12:06 pm
1. I start yom tov with the flame off and usually only turn it on the next day (by bypassing the electric starter)
2. We have a vent next to the stove that extracts the fumes. I leave that on all yom tov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics