Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO therapist/ coach for DC, difficult only at home

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 2:54 pm
Can someone please guide me? I have a 5 year old DC who is uper difficult, at home only. In school, DC is a model student. DC tantrums when he/she doesn't get what they want, always wants to eat and snack, never happy with portion size, will always scream and yell if doesn't get more food, extremely sensory, but does not qualify for ot. Please. My home life is becoming unmanageable. This child is strong and throws things, and can hurt someone, not on purpose . Brooklyn area. Ty

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:22 pm
Read the book the Explosive Child and go to www.livesinthebalance.org it is really really beneficial for kids like this.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:33 pm
What a difficult situation.

Perhaps try one of the local clinics for therapy? They may even be able to do family sessions to help you and other affected family members cope with what is going on.

Obtaining therapy will give you the benefit of having an objective person see the situation, and they might be able to point out something you might be missing.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
What a difficult situation.

Perhaps try one of the local clinics for therapy? They may even be able to do family sessions to help you and other affected family members cope with what is going on.

Obtaining therapy will give you the benefit of having an objective person see the situation, and they might be able to point out something you might be missing.

Sounds like a great idea...but I need the name of a reputable person:)

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:02 pm
I am not a big fan of parenting classes, but in this case, I recommend you get help setting boundaries to parent this child. The good news is he can behave with boundaries.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 4:04 pm
Some kids like this hold it all in at school and since home is their safe space they unload. Its the worst because then you start to blame yourself. Its really the opposite they feel safe around you so they can unload all of their frustration.

behappy2

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 5:12 pm
Pm me if you want support or advice.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 5:24 pm
many kids find the adjustment to kindergarten hard. Many schools push academics early and the kids have all this pent up energy from too much sitting. I was mentioning to my daughters teacher that she comes home a wreck and she told me it's normal and a lot of kids take time to get used to it. If this is a new problem and just been since school started I wouldn't worry so much.
I would speak to her school and make sure nothing bullying, etc. Happening.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 12:18 am
If child is sensory but doesn't qualify for OT I assume this was a school based program. Go to a private practitioner. Some parenting would also be helpful. OHEL started an early childhood therapy program. Maybe check out what they offer.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 12:59 am
behappy2 wrote:
Pm me if you want support or advice.

Thanks, but I have no idea who you are, and what your credentials are, but ty!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:21 am
Please have your child evaluated for pandas or pans by a pandas-literate MD. She has many telling signs, and it is super-common for kids with pandas/pans to hold it together in school or outside the home and only act out at home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics