Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Manners & etiquette

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:53 pm
Q: a relative sent two young kids to drop s/t by to my house on busy timing lke erev shabbos/erev yt....with a request that their mom asked that they play in my house for a lil while before returning home.....so once I ok'd even if it was very bz timing, (had to do kaparros,tashlich, gparents...still that evening)but didnt work out so well, my kids didnt wanna play with them, so I had to entertain them. next time I declined.....is it a reasonable request? was I mean not to let them in?

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:58 pm
I understand that part of the reason she sent the kids is to get the errand done but also to get them outta the way, while shes prepping for yt, but how about im also looking for someone to entertain my kids while im prepping for yt?

imasinger

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 11:00 pm
No, you were fine.

She was imposing by asking, you can accept or decline. You have a right -- even an obligation -- to say no if the request doesn't work out well in terms of your family. Chesed begins at home.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 1:38 am
She should not have just dropped them off like that. Of course you could decline. She was wrong.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 2:41 pm
The imposition is breathtaking in its audacity. Erev YomTov is not a time for unscheduled play dates. Your relative was rudely exploiting you for free babysitting.

Read my lips: “This is not a good time. I’m sorry but I cannot have anyone visit right now.” Repeat as many times as necessary for your relative to get the message.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette