Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vegan-Vegetarian Switch

moon__star

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 3:35 am
We've been vegetarian (we do eat fish) for a few years, and I'm lactose intolerant so we hardly have dairy. We still have separate everything. Someone suggested just switching completely to dairy, with obviously some parve items in case we go out. I also have anxiety/ocd so making one set would reduce my stress immensely.
I have no problem throwing out plastic, since we're slowly going plastic free and dh is super minimalist. The other issue is pots and expensive dishes.
So.... Do the switch? And if, when how to do it without going crazy, spending tons on replacements, and last amount of stress possible.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 3:57 am
I dont have advice on the switch, but it's not called vegan if you are still consuming eggs.

moon__star

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 5:47 am
amother wrote:
I dont have advice on the switch, but it's not called vegan if you are still consuming eggs.

We're definitely not vegan (just the title) but normally when you say vegetarian people assume you eat dairy, which isn't the case at least not for myself. It would also make a big difference in our kitchen. Like, do we go totally parve and a few dairy things to the side, or keep only dairy but then can't bring dishes to friends for meat meals for lack of parve. I would prefer to have only one set, and even switching to dairy and parve is still stressful for me.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:02 am
How often does the “bring dishes to friends for meat meals” come up?

If not that often, I’d switch to dairy only. Pareve is the most stressful state, and not worth it if it’s rarely helpful imho.

I’d also plan what to do if it does come up - can you plan to bring bread, drinks, or something store-bought?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:08 am
If you bake a dessert in a clean oven, afaik it is fully pareve. Check with your local rabbi. This may also apply to things like kugels but that is more complicated eg if there are onions that are cut with a dairy knife.

Debbie

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:08 am
amother wrote:

Also it's not called vegetarian if you eat fish; someone who eats fish but not meat is a pescetarian not a vegetarian.
I think that if you make a parev dish in a meaty oven you can have it straight after dairy but not with dairy.
The same if for example you make a parev cake in a milky oven,you can have it straight after meat but not with it.
That's what I learned anyway!

Last edited by Debbie on Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:19 am
I'm not clear on why you need to change anything, but it sounds like it would be easiest for you to keep your kitchen completely pareve with maybe a few dairy things for your family. Or keep your dishes dairy but your baking things pareve.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 6:41 am
Why not keep everything pareve? You never have fleishigs and your dairy is uncommon. It shouldn’t be hard.
Make a rule that dairy is only on disposables.
Wait 24 hrs after baking dairy then your pareve food could be served with meat.
Do hagala on what you can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen