Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Use for saurkraut?

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:34 am
I need some saurkraut for a recipe for yom tov, but I could only find a 2 lb bad and my recipe calls for 1/4 of it. I'm in a small city and I couldn't find a corned beef to use the rest of it. Any other recommendations. I like it, but its not hot dog season anymore would rather not throw it out.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:44 am
You can make the KBD sweet and sour brisket (or another cut) using sauerkraut, peeled canned tomatoes and brown sugar.

You can do something similar with something like minute steak.

It would probably make a good sauce for unstuffed cabbage.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:22 am
Sauerkraut lasts quite awhile.

My mother used to make something with barley and tomatoes. Something like saute onions add tomatoes however long you like them cooked. Mix onions, tomatoes, cooked barley, and sauerkraut. I think add salt and pepper, but I'm not sure because sauerkraut is salty.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:25 am
You can put it into deli roll. Spread out puff pastry, smear with some sort of sauce (honey mustard, or BBQ sauce, or duck sauce), spread slices of deli, top with sourkraut, and roll up jelly-roll style. Cut slits in the dough. Smear with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake about 40-45 minutes at 350.

debbie321

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:32 am
I make pastrami burekas and mix the pastrami with sourkraut, mustard( and I forgot the rest.) You can also make it in a roll up

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:59 am
You can use it in cake to keep it moist. Just don't tell anyone what the secret ingredient is!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/re.....cake/

I've never made it myself, but a family friend does and you would never know if she didn't tell you.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:20 am
debbie321 wrote:
I make pastrami burekas and mix the pastrami with sourkraut, mustard( and I forgot the rest.) You can also make it in a roll up

That's basically what I'm doing already.

trixx

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:25 am
I would just eat it plain, it lasts forever and it's extremely healthy

momma9

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:31 pm
I used to make the weight watchers garden vegetable soup. It calls for cabbage and I used to just put sauerkraut since I didn’t always have cabbage on hand. It’s a tomato based soup. I’m assuming it would work well in other tomato based soups as well and as other people said I believe it lasts awhile.

dankbar

Post Sat, Sep 22 2018, 10:45 pm
saur kraut salad is yum & cud go to meats or kugel or plain, lasts a while. saur kraut, red onion diced, oil, salt & black pepper & if u want some sugar or sub. gets better w everday as all ing get marinated

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 10:26 am
A falafel salad with or without falafels. veggie salad, sauerkraut, and techina.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics