Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood School Inquiry

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 6:02 pm
My daughter was told about these 2 schools, and being that she is not familiar yet with them, I was wondering if anyone can give me info on:
Bnos Yaakov and/or
Nachlas Bais Yaakov.

This is not a post about bashing the lakewood school way of accepting or not accepting kids.

I just want to know some more info on these 2 schools ie. type of parent body, type of families etc.

tia.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:07 pm
I know both well. Here’s my opinion so don’t take anything I say as fact.
Bnos Yaakov is a very academic, warm school. Parent body is a mix. The new families they accept are pretty yeshivish but it’s an older school where the older parent body wasn’t necessarily yeshivish so they have a mix of all types there. The teachers there are really of the best in Lakewood. It can be intense, but they reward the girls with amazing extra curricular incentives and it’s a very loving happy school for the girls. In my opinion it’s a notch above most other lakewood schools.

Nachlas is a newer younger school and parent body. The crowd is very Nice Frum ppl, not necessarily yeshivish per say. More middle of the road. Good academics and very warm accepting hanhala and administration. It’s hard to know more because they don’t have older grades yet.

Hope this helps!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 7:11 pm
Thanks very much!
I appreciate your detailed response

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 09 2018, 8:10 pm
What is the oldest grade in nachlas?

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 12:33 am
Bnos yaakov is more of an American type of parent body. The heimish parents don’t send there. What type of crowd are you looking for? Also not necessarily is the academics higher it’s more a lot of busy work for example they want first graders to finish the whole Sefer tehilllim at home practicing Kriah and Parents have to listen while the child reads.

The girls in high school from bnos yaakov are not on any higher level than the girls from other schools.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 1:36 am
amother wrote:
Bnos Bais yaakov is more of an American type of parent body. The heimish parents don’t send there. What type of crowd are you looking for? Also not necessarily is the academics higher it’s more a lot of busy work for example they want first graders to finish the whole Sefer tehilllim at home practicing Kriah and Parents have to listen while the child reads.

The girls in high school from bnos Bais yaakov are not on any higher level than the girls from other schools.

It’s bnos Yaakov. Bnos Bais Yaakov is a high school.
And I beg to differ. I have found that the girls are definitely on a higher level when they get to high school, have a much easier time and they learn a ton of information.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 3:49 am
amother wrote:
It’s bnos Yaakov. Bnos Bais Yaakov is a high school.
And I beg to differ. I have found that the girls are definitely on a higher level when they get to high school, have a much easier time and they learn a ton of information.

Sorry I meant bnos yaakov. And my daughter just finished ninth grade and the bnos yaakov girls really didn’t know any more
Than her school but my
Daughter came from a top elementary school with an amazing education.

Honestly I find that bec Lakewood has a vaad who at the end of the day places a lot of kids who don’t get into schools in all
Schools that all schools have a mix. There isn’t one school in Lakewood that doesn’t have a mix of kids who really only has one type.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:13 am
My girls said that in most subjects BF (and other schools) education was definitely on par with Bnos Yaakov when they got to high school. Bnos Yaakov did have some subjects that the school did as a project, where the girls might've been somewhat ahead academically. (I recall DD saying that they learned Hilchos Shabbos really thoroughly.) Nothing really significant in terms of high school success, though. Also alot depended on the individual girl and her abilities, in terms of what she came out with.

DD also said there were some girls who felt really burnt out by the time they got to high school. I remember years ago I looked into Bnos Yaakov (had two cousins teaching there and they were actually recruiting, back then!) and my good friend Ziva Kriger A"H told me not to send DD there because it might be too much pressure. There are kids who thrive on pressure and kids who don't. This was individual advice to me, for my child.

My girls also marveled at the connection the Bnos Yaakov girls feel to their school. DD had a friend who would call her principal and keep in touch with her.....not something BF girls have, really.

(OT - It's actually one of the reasons I chose to send her to BK for high school. I felt that coming from a huge elementary school, a smaller, warm high school would round out the experience.)

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 8:37 am
As a Bnos Yaakov parent, I agree with Chayalle that a lot of Bnos Yaakov girls are burnt out by the time they get to high school. And I have also heard that while they come into high school more prepared, the other girls catch up quickly, so there's no long term benefit.

I personally believe, and there are plenty of parents who agree with me, that Bnos Yaakov works their students too hard. Some people like the extra-curricular programs, but a lot of us feel that it's too much. The tehillim program would be beautiful, if it was optional. They have a mesilas yesharim program which IMHO is ridiculous for elementary school students.

My dd's have had secular teachers who barely give homework, and they say it's because the Hebrew teachers give so much homework that they don't feel it's fair to the girls. They're right, but it's really a crazy amount of homework. And like Chayalle said, some kids thrive under the pressure, for many it's the worst thing.

I don't see that my girls or their friends feel a connection to the school or the principal once they graduate, maybe some girls do, I don't know.

As far as the poster who wrote about Bnos Yaakov having a mix of different types, those days are over. The earlier families have all graduated already, and they're very careful about who they accept.

Most of the teachers in Bnos Yaakov are really amazing, I do give them credit for that.

I don't know anything about Nachlas Bais Yaakov. Sorry.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 9:16 am
My daughter goes to Nachlas Bais Yaakov. The administration is very warm and they really care about each child. The parent body is a mix, ranging from ultra-yeshivish to more modern (by Lakewood standards, meaning they may wear long wigs and colored nail polish). Academics are on a relatively high level, and there is extra support for girls who need it. There's not a lot of intense pressure like I've heard about Bnos Yaakov, but the girls are learning a lot in a fun way.

benny

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 9:36 am
I find the pressure to be hyped up. My girls are really happy in Bnos Yaakov. Have one that already graduated and her most amazing 8th grade teacher still calls and writes to her! My girls learn a ton, I’m amazed at what they know, but I find the teachers to be excellent and teach it so well that they just know it.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 10 2018, 10:01 am
Just want to mention, another excellent school that people considering Bnos Yaakov tend to look into is Bnos Esther Malka. The principal, Shaindy Schorr, is an amazing person, and she used to teach in Bnos Yaakov. I have 3 nieces in the school and they are absolutely thrilled. It seems to work equally well for the niece who is super-bright, and the one who is more chilled.

dorothy1

Post Mon, Aug 13 2018, 9:59 am
My daughter is in Nachlas Bais Yaakov and we are thrilled. While "only" about half of the fathers are learning, the principal puts a major focus on tznius (of mothers and girls...they will reject otherwise fine families based on mothers tznius) , internet, and not being too gashmiusdik.
Education level seems perhaps a little on the higher end but its hard to tell because they are only up to 3rd grade.
I have heard people say its easy to get in because its new , but I know that over 150 people applied for less than 20 slots this year.
Families are mostly "out of town Yeshivish"... you get a real out of town feel even if they are actually from Monsey, Brooklyn or Lakewood, not shticky type at all, very warm and friendly and down to earth. My daughters friends parents are also from Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, Baltimore, etc.
If you have any more questiosn please let me know. We are just hoping to find a school we are as happy with for our son!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 6:28 am
Chayalle wrote:
Just want to mention, another excellent school that people considering Bnos Yaakov tend to look into is Bnos Esther Malka. The principal, Shaindy Schorr, is an amazing person, and she used to teach in Bnos Yaakov. I have 3 nieces in the school and they are absolutely thrilled. It seems to work equally well for the niece who is super-bright, and the one who is more chilled.

What kind of crowd sends there, and is the hanhala regular yeshivish or more of an out of town type?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics